which school I should attempt to apply? [profile included]

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Please assist to evaluate my profile:

-graduated from Carleton University, Canada with a Bachelor of Commerce, 4 year program, honour, average GPA of B-
-Returned to Hong Kong and worked in UBS (back office, wealth management) for 20 months.
-Taken GMAT 3 times with the last result being 690 (Q49, V34).

I wish to apply for a MBA or Financial Engineering program (either one). Could someone advise which schools I should attempt to apply given my profile and the application deadline? Many thanks!

Any advice is welcomed! Thank you!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:06 am
Ryan,

As you begin your process, you will learn that an MBA is quite different than a Masters in Finance, and the two have distinct career trajectories. Nobody can recommend which one unless they understand your career goals--do you want to be a general manager/business owner or do you want to be in more of a financial role?

That being said, after looking at your gmat/gpa and back office role, you are probably not looking at the top 10 MBA programs, and should focus on programs in the top 25. But there are some great options out there, and though deadlines differ school to school, Round One apps are generally due in October. So you have time to keep researching.

Good Luck!
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178