Which recommendations to get and which round to apply

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

1. I am thinking of applying to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago, maybe Kellogg. I think I can get my act together and apply to one first round and the others second round. Does anyone have advice for how to approach this - i.e. HBS is my top choice, so I assume best to apply second when I have had some experience/practice/more time on my essays. Or should I just apply to all second round? I have written drafts of my essays but they're not very good..I need to ask for recommendations very soon (hoping within a week) if I apply for any first round.

2. How many schools does a typical applicant apply to?

3. I am thinking of asking for the following recommendations. Does anyone have advice?
Harvard: three recommendations, two professional
Stanford: three recommendations, two professional (one current), one peer
Wharton: two, preferably from supervisors
Chicago: two, at least one from supervisor
Kellogg: two, at least one current

I am thinking of asking:
1. EITHER: A past supervisor who is an "executive director" level in finance at a bulge bracket, who I think really liked me, served as a mentor and can probably give a good recommendation, though I get the feeling he wants me to stay within the firm so not sure how that will impact it. He was Penn undergrad and did not attend Business School
VS
A past supervisor who is an "Associate" level in finance at the same company, so less senior as the Executive Director. He also really liked me and we had a great working relationship. However, he is less senior.
------> Which would you suggest? I think either one would write a great recommendation, but the associate is a lot more dependable (I know i can be 100% frank with him), however, the executive director is two ranks senior

2. I just changed to another office within the company, so I would only have been working with these people for ~2 months. Do you think I should explain why I cannot ask these people for recommendations, or should I wait for 2nd round to ask them to write a recommendation??

3. I am thinking of asking my undergrad thesis advisor to write a recommendation - he is a currently HBS faculty. However, I am not sure how good a recommendation he would write because it's been 3 years since I've seen him. I know he liked me during the process but it's not like I worked closely with him every day. I don't really have any other suitable non-professional recommendations from the last 2 years that I think would be impressive.

Does anyone have any advice????? I really appreciate it. Completely lost.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tmino » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:48 pm
Hi there,

I'd agree that applying to your top choice later might be better. Check the application deadlines for R1. If HBS' R1 deadline is after some of the others then you could also apply in R1. Otherwise, postpone to R2.

As to recommendations, go for the person who knows you best and with whom you worked closest with. I assume that is the Associate. It's better to have a solid recommendation with specific examples from a direct supervisor than some general recommendation from a top guy. Each year B-schools get general recommendation letters from CEOs or famous people - they are useless unless they show that the recommender really put effort into mentioning specific details about your achievements.

As to the non-professional recommendation - again try to find someone who knows you well.
MBAvolunteers - Application feedback in exchange for a donation to a non-profit
MBA Admission Requirements - All you need to know about getting into b-school

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dchen » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:47 pm
Thanks for the response!

After some thought, I am now thinking of applying to all 5 in R2. I think I'd present a better application then.
I am actually thinking of asking both for the professional recommendation - to clarify, the first guy (the more senior) worked with me 1-on-1 for close to a year, so he does know me well and can speak to it. Definitely not a 'find the closest CEO' situation, but I know what you are referring to.

However, the second guy did more analytical things and was "closer" to me on a personal level and I feel like I would be 100% frank with him. Tough call...?

If I really did submit R1 however, how often do people write the letter explaining why they cannot find their current superior (e.g. Stanford)? for me the reason would be that I have been at this new job for only 1 month and thus only 2 months at the October application date.

Thanks again.