Which of the following most logically completes the argument

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?
A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only fifteen inches apart, instead of the usual thirty inches. Corn planted this closely will produce lower yields per plant. Nevertheless, the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre because __________.

A. with the closer spacing of the rows, the growing corn plants will quickly form a dense canopy of leaves, which will, by shading the ground, minimize the need for costly weed control and irrigation
B. with the closer spacing of the rows, corn plants will be forced to grow taller because of increased competition for sunlight from neighboring corn plants
C. with the larger number of plants growing per acre, more fertilizer will be required
D. with the spacing between rows cut by half, the number of plants grown per acre will almost double
E. with the closer spacing of the rows, the acreage on which corn is planted will be utilized much more intensively than it was before, requiring more frequent fallow years in which corn fields are left unplanted.

[spoiler]OA: Will be posted later. Plz discuss each answer choice[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Sat May 07, 2011 8:10 am
IMO A

Only Op A and Op D are competitors

Yields proportional to profits

Argument already cleared that, the yield will be low as the per acre density of plants increase.

Means, suppose if farmer is planting 100 plants initially and got 100 KG of corn, and now if he plants 200 plants definitely yield will be less than 200 kg

So the info u get from above example is actually the stated premise and in any case u can't negate this premise to get answer.

Op D actually negate this premise....the plants grow double, so what, that doesn't mean yield will be double and as i already stated yield is directly proportional to profit hence you can't be sure profit will be double.

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:22 am
Hi Atul,

I have a doubt on option A as it says that the cost of weed and pesticides would get less......suppose if it gets less by Rs 200 (what u save) and ur corn yield also is low (what u loose) therefore, these both things are themselves negating each other and we are not sure whether profit will be more...........please correct me if i am wrong