which of the following best completes the passage below???

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:560
Which of the following best completes the passage below?
One tax-reform proposal that has gained increasing support in recent years is the flat tax, which would impose a uniform tax rate on incomes at every level. Opponents of the flat tax say that a progressive tax system, which levies a higher rate of taxes on higher-income taxpayers, is fairer, placing the greater burden on those better able to bear it. However, the present crazy quilt of tax deductions, exemptions, credits, and loopholes benefits primarily the high-income taxpayer, who is consequently able to reduce his or her effective tax rate, often to a level below that paid by the lower-income taxpayer. Therefore, ______

(A) higher-income taxpayers are likely to lend their support to the flat-tax proposal now being considered by Congress
(B) a flat-tax system that allowed no deductions or exemptions would substantially increase actual government revenues
(C) the lower-income taxpayer might well be penalized by the institution of a flat-tax system in this country
(D) the progressive nature of our present tax system is more illusory than real
(E) the flat tax would actually be fairer to the lower-income taxpayer than any progressive tax system could be

I do not know the OA
but i chose E
Could anyone Please explain what should be the answer and why?

Followed by:3 members

by FightWithGMAT » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:22 pm
alivapriyada wrote:Which of the following best completes the passage below?
One tax-reform proposal that has gained increasing support in recent years is the flat tax, which would impose a uniform tax rate on incomes at every level. Opponents of the flat tax say that a progressive tax system, which levies a higher rate of taxes on higher-income taxpayers, is fairer, placing the greater burden on those better able to bear it. However, the present crazy quilt of tax deductions, exemptions, credits, and loopholes benefits primarily the high-income taxpayer, who is consequently able to reduce his or her effective tax rate, often to a level below that paid by the lower-income taxpayer. Therefore, ______

(A) higher-income taxpayers are likely to lend their support to the flat-tax proposal now being considered by Congress
(B) a flat-tax system that allowed no deductions or exemptions would substantially increase actual government revenues
(C) the lower-income taxpayer might well be penalized by the institution of a flat-tax system in this country
(E) the flat tax would actually be fairer to the lower-income taxpayer than any progressive tax system could be

I do not know the OA
but i chose E
It should be D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by SeemaSkl » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:29 pm
It should be E :

This is an identify the conclusion question - opponents of flat tax systems say this system is not fair (line 2). Rest of the passage gives evidence to oppose this claim. Therefore, the conclusion stated in E.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:31 pm
I have solved this problem before and OA is D for this.
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

by Shawshank » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:22 pm
Why not "A".. can someone explain,,
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Shawshank Redemtion -- Hope is still alive ...

by SeemaSkl » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:27 pm
Shawshank, A does not flow logically from the passage so doesn't fit the bill.

GMAT Score:690

by sirisha.g » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:18 pm

I do not know the OA
but i chose E
even i fell for E. but, there is not supporting evidence to state that flat tax is fairer to the lower-income taxpayer. hence you should eliminate E and go for D which is the next best choice

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:33 pm

I do not know the OA
but i chose E
this CR question is on CR 1000 and its answer is D