Which is harder to get into?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Which is harder to get into?

by Favin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:37 am
Which would be harder to get into? A top 10 Executive MBA program or a top 20 full time program?

(I understand that different programs for different folks, but I am just asking generally speaking).

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by SoCalMBA » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:10 pm
Really tough call and would need a case vs case to make a call here. Lets just use Businessweek and US News Rankings. That would provide is with two match ups:

------------------------------ US NEWS ------ BUSINESSWEEK

#10 EMBA SCHOOL
-----> UNC ----------> DUKE

#20 FT SCHOOL ---------> USC -----------> MICHIGAN STATE

So, I would guess that most people would take a UNC MBA over a USC MBA most of the time while always taking the Duke MBA over Michigan State.

Verdict: Its better to go to the higher ranked executive MBA program over full time.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:05 am
Favin,

Thanks for your note. Keep in mind that full time programs are geared towards applicants in their mid 20s whereas eMBA programs are geared towards applicants in their early to mid 30s. Meaning, someone with mediocre academics and 10 years of solid work experience would be competitive at a top eMBA program even though they might not be competitive at a top full time MBA program. Likewise, someone with strong academics with 4 years of experience might be more competitive at a full time program than at an eMBA program.

Thus, I would need to know more about your situation in order to determine if the full time or eMBA program is right for you.

As a very general rule, it is a bit easier to gain admission to an eMBA program than to a full time program if you have the requisite work experience.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.