"which amounts to...." vs. "amounting to"

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi guys,

I am having a hard time discerning between choices A&D. It's a recurring theme, so could someone clarify this once and for all. To me choice A is correct, but apparently it's choice D that is right. Can someone explain why?

For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority in California, which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly there-quarters only a decade ago.

A. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters only a decade ago
B. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a decade ago, when it was nearly three-quarters
C. and that amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a decade ago, when they were nearly three-quarters
D. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters a decade ago
E. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters
Last edited by publicproxy on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by amitansu » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:04 am
In choice 5 "down from what it was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters" is wordy as compared to choice 4 " down from nearly three-quarters a decade ago".

This is what my understanding.
Any expert/s vew here !!

Amit

by publicproxy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:10 am
Thanks Amit. Any general ideas about choices A vs. choice D.

.....California, which amounts to......
.....California, amounting......

I'm not sure about the grammar rules here. Is D absolutely right and A absolutely wrong, or is this an issue of which one is "more correct" (stuff that I dislike about the GMAT)

Hello, publicproxy.

I think 'which amouts to' is not at all a problem. This question seems more about clarity.

If we use 'which amounts', it sounds confusing because we are not sure whether 'California' amount or 'non-Hispanic Whites' amounts.
By using 'amounting~', we can specify the subject more clearly, because usually a subject of the participle sentence is the subject of the main sentence.

by publicproxy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:41 am
Hi Celeste,

Yes, now I do see the problem. I guess I take it for granted in daily conversation, but I can see why someone could be confused.

Thanks

by Teaching4life » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:18 am
When you say "which amounts to", "which" refers to the word immediately before the comma. That would be "California", but the verb "amounts" cannot refer to the state. The expression "non-Hispanic Whites" is the subject of the first clause. In this case, "amounting to" is the right choice, since it refers to that subject.". Hope this helps.

Followed by:1 members

by hrishi19884 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:21 am
Teaching4life wrote:When you say "which amounts to", "which" refers to the word immediately before the comma. That would be "California", but the verb "amounts" cannot refer to the state. The expression "non-Hispanic Whites" is the subject of the first clause. In this case, "amounting to" is the right choice, since it refers to that subject.". Hope this helps.
You drilled down 2008 post brother ..... I don't think "publicproxy" is still there to read you ;)
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

by mgmt_gmat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:31 am
Here, only contenders are D and E..

in A, B , C that and which doesn't prefer previous clause.

E is wordy and misplaced modifier error.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:34 am
mgmt_gmat wrote:Here, only contenders are D and E..

in A, B , C that and which doesn't prefer previous clause.

E is wordy and misplaced modifier error.
E is wrong not coz of misplaced modifier but coz of ambiguousIT
I am on a break !!

by thang » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:29 pm
why A is wrong ? this is most important inhere.

A is wrong not because of mechanic error-which is far from it antecedent- but because of logic error.

pls, help point out

expert Hunt, Please, help us

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Tmoni26 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:30 am
A is wrong because of the word "which"

",which" should modify the noun just before it and also (someone please correct me if I am wrong), which should not modify people...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:49 am
For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority in California, which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly there-quarters only a decade ago.

A. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters only a decade ago
B. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a decade ago, when it was nearly three-quarters
C. and that amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a decade ago, when they were nearly three-quarters
D. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters a decade ago
E. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters
In A and B, which seems to refer to California, implying that CALIFORNIA amounts to a little less than half the population -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate A and B.

In C, that lacks a clear antecedent.
Eliminate C.

In E, it lacks a clear antecedent.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.

Here, amounts and amounting serve different grammatical functions.
The subject of amounts in A, B and C is the preceding pronoun (which/that).
The result is a nonsensical/unclear meaning.
But COMMA + VERBing refers to the SUBJECT OF THE PRECEDING CLAUSE.
Thus, in the OA, amounting refers to non-Hispanic Whites, conveying the intended meaning: that NON-HISPANIC WHITES are AMOUNTING to a little less than half the population.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kutlee » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:11 pm
E also changes the meaning by reducing the amount BY three quarters. Amount was reduced from 3 quarters.

by thang » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:34 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

In A and B, which seems to refer to California, implying that CALIFORNIA amounts to a little less than half the population -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate A and B.

In C, that lacks a clear antecedent.
Eliminate C.

In E, it lacks a clear antecedent.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.

Here, amounts and amounting serve different grammatical functions.
The subject of amounts in A, B and C is the preceding pronoun (which/that).
The result is a nonsensical/unclear meaning.
But COMMA + VERBing refers to the SUBJECT OF THE PRECEDING CLAUSE.
Thus, in the OA, amounting refers to non-Hispanic Whites, conveying the intended meaning: that NON-HISPANIC WHITES are AMOUNTING to a little less than half the population.
which can modify a far noun , it is not neccessary that which alway modify immediately preceding noun

A is wrong because we need a causal/explanatary relation between two ideas as in D

am I correct?
looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: [email protected], call: 84904812758