where can I apply with a 640?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

where can I apply with a 640?

by Mary1288 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:02 am
Reviewing the stats for the schools everybody seems to have 720+. I don't know how everybody manages to achieve that score, but I have taken GMAT 3 times and never could pass the 650 barrier. So which schools can I apply with a 640? I think I have other parts of my application fairly good for a top business school (I have 18/20 in GPA, was the first of my class and valedictorian, good work experience of 4 years, extracurriculars and leadership experiences.....)but I don't think I can overcome the GMAT, specially because, as I have said, I see many wonderful profiles of people with 700 scores. Where do you recommend me to apply? I am from Argentina by the way, with a major in Humanities.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:18 am
Hi there Mary,

GMATs are just one thing they consider. I take it you are a female? Additionally, being from Argentina is a helpful characteristic.

In all honesty, I'd need more info to help you out here. For one, why do you want an MBA? What are you looking to do after? Also, what does a "good profile" really mean?

Don't worry too much about what you read on these forums. A 640 puts you in play for a large number of programs and, while it isn't 750, it's sufficient. You'd be surprised at where you could be competitive.

So, if you could share more info I'd be happy to help! If you'd rather send a private message with the details or set up time to chat using the link below, feel free. It's up to you!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Vendetta » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:48 am
Hi Mary,

You may also gauge your chances of getting admission in a top business schools by trying the tool "Your Chances for B-School" https://bit.ly/13TQbrF.

Hope that solves your query.

Feel free to write if you have further queries.

Cheers!
Vendetta

by bermanal9 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:44 pm
Mary hi,

Its very hard to score above 700 on the GMAT so don't feel a 640 is the end of the world. You are not alone. You do have some important things going for you (gender and nationality) and you might be competitive at the best schools - it's hard to say without more details - but asking what schools would be good for you is not the approach to take. You would be foolish,and probably unsuccessful, in applying to any good school without truly knowing why you want to be there. You should be looking closely at curriculums and deciding which would be best and most interesting for you. Then you can tie that information in to almost every aspect of your application and use it to be a convincing candidate. A 640 GMAT will not necessarily put you out of the running if the rest of your application is exciting and confident, but you must decide what it is you want to get from an MBA and only then will you be able to make it happen.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:56 am
Hi Mary,

Technically, with a 640 you can apply to any school you like. I have a lot of experience helping people with low GMAT scores or low GPAs (usually not both) get into top schools.

Some stories of hope: I got into HBS and HKS (Harvard Kennedy School) as well as waitlisted at Stanford with a 620 GMAT. Two seasons ago, a client of mine (Asian-American male in his 30s) got into Ross with a 620 GMAT, and before that, a client of mine (Mexican-American male in his 30s) got into Kellogg with a 640 GMAT.

When your GMAT is low, it's imperative that you have outstanding essays that clearly communicate why you want to go to the school (personal, professional, and academic reasons), what you bring to the school in and outside of the classroom, why NOW is the time for you to go to b-school, and all the reasons why your low GMAT score (or for others, a low GPA) is not indicative of your ability to handle the quantitative rigor of the business school classroom.

Rather than pigeon-holing yourself into a group of schools based on your score, use it as a reference point. Apply to 2-3 reach schools where your score is WAY out of range, 3 scores where your score is closer to their target range, and 2 schools where you have a very high chance of being admitted.

It sounds like you could use some encouragement and guidance. I invite you to visit my website to see if I might be a good match for you.

Best of luck with your process!

Warm regards,
Kaneisha

https://theartofapplying.com
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.

by Mary1288 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 pm
Thank very much for your answers.
Do you think I need to explain my low GMAT in the optional essay? My score qualifies as a low GMAT for top MBAs right?

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:58 pm
Hi there,

Actually, I would suggest against it. Your score is in play and unless you have a significant reason to explain your score, utilizing the optional essay will do you more harm than good. Almost no one applying has a valid excuse to explain a low GMAT score.

Like I mentioned, given some of the aspects of your profile, your score really isn't bad. Sure, it isn't the best score in the world but you don't need to explain it either.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by blessu » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:23 am
Hi there,
In my opinion, 640 is not that bad, and even if it's not good enough for top 10 programs, you cam aim for the area of top 20-30, especially if your profile is good as you said.

by Mary1288 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:16 am
Thanks very much for all your answers. I have a good idea of where to apply now. Hopefully will get good news next year!
thanks!!