When to use "which"

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

When to use "which"

by 123nobody321 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:52 am
Hi forum,

I am a bit unsure about when to use "which" and when not.

I have this example sentence and I do not know why if I can use "which" or not:
In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle other stars.

Here, I can see that the phrase "most of them as large or larger than Jupiter" is a non-essential modifier because it is surrounded by commas, thus can be left out.
If I leave the non-essential modifier out, I can see that the "which" modifies the noun "80 massive planets". I learned that "which" can only be used when it modifies the noun preceding it. It cannot modify a whole sentence.
In our case here, it just modifies the preceding noun, so where is my mistake?
Is somewhere a short summary of the rules when one can use "which" and when not?

Help is much appreciated.

Best,
nobody

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:57 pm
Hi 123nobody321,

Your sample sentence would need some "reconstruction", but here's one example that would use the word "which":

In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle other stars.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by 123nobody321 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:40 am
Hi,

thanks for your reply!
But I still have some more questions:
  • Is there a rule when one needs to use "which" and when not?
  • Regarding my thoughts in the prior post - where is my mistake? Because so far I cannot see why the sentence is wrong..

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,
nobody

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by vinay1983 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:48 am
123nobody321 wrote:Hi forum,

I am a bit unsure about when to use "which" and when not.

I have this example sentence and I do not know why if I can use "which" or not:
In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them as large or larger than Jupiter, which circle other stars.

Here, I can see that the phrase "most of them as large or larger than Jupiter" is a non-essential modifier because it is surrounded by commas, thus can be left out.
If I leave the non-essential modifier out, I can see that the "which" modifies the noun "80 massive planets". I learned that "which" can only be used when it modifies the noun preceding it. It cannot modify a whole sentence.
In our case here, it just modifies the preceding noun, so where is my mistake?
Is somewhere a short summary of the rules when one can use "which" and when not?

Help is much appreciated.

Best,
nobody
Hi, for your question the answer is here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/astronomers- ... 91529.html

You can go through the notes on Sc available on this forum.It will help. DO go through MGMAT SC once. It will help you.
You can, for example never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to!

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:28 pm
"which cricle" is wrong i would prefer Circling
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)