When "of" is preceded by a singular noun..

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

When "of" is preceded by a singular noun..

by vittalgmat » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:31 pm
Hi Folks,
I would like to know more on the following "rule"
I am assuming this rule is correct. If so, then I am looking for more examples and explanations of those examples.

Here is the excerpt from Amateur's notes:

When "of" is preceded by a singular noun and followed by a plural one, the rule is to conjugate the following verb with the plural noun if the latter can perform the action conveyed. Otherwise, conjugate it with the singular noun preceding "of".
E.g.: The swarm of flies was very dense.
As you can see, the flies cannot be dense. However, the "swarm" is singular. Hence, "was" is singular.
E.g.: He is one of the students who believe math is boring.
In the above, since "students" can perform the action of believing, the verb is conjugated with the plural noun "students". This is an example similar to the original question. An exception applies in the case of "one of":
E.g.: One of the students believes that math is boring.
In the above, it is actually not an exception; it is about logic. Ask yourself: Do the students believe that math is boring? No. Only that one student believes so. Hence, "believes" should be third person singular.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:34 am
I think it's less dangerous to follow subject-verb agreement and modifier rules here, but I also think a lot of people might find it easier to understand the explanation as given above. The one danger to the above explanation is that it could lead to mistakes on harder questions where the logic isn't so clear cut - so, if possible, try to learn the actual grammatical rules, but don't stress too much if you find the actual grammar too confusing!

In the first example, we've got:
The swarm of flies was very dense
<subject> <prep phrase> <verb> <other stuff>

Here, we've got a question of standard subject-verb agreement in an independent clause. The prepositional phrase contains a noun and subjects are nouns, yes, but prepositional phrases do not contain subjects. So "flies" cannot be the subject that matches the verb. Instead, we use the noun / subject "swarm."

In the second example, we've got:
He is one of the students who believe math is boring.
To start, this sentence isn't completely grammatically correct. You'd either have to say:
He is one of the students, who believe math is boring. (Implication: he is one of the students out of some larger group that includes both students and non-students - and, by the way, the students all happen to think that math is boring, but this is extra info and not the main point of the sentence)
or
He is one of the students that believe math is boring. (Implication: he is part of a student-only group in which some of the students believe math is boring and some of the students believe math is not boring - in his case, he belongs to that subset that believes math is boring.)

In either case, we've got a modifier set-up in the relevant part of the sentence.
He is one of the students that believe math is boring.
<subject> <verb> <noun> <prep phrase> <modifying clause beginning with "that">
So "He is" already addresses the subject-verb agreement issue (in both sentences, actually). What we've got now is either "who" or "that" introducing a clause - both of these are modifiers and are supposed to modify the main noun preceding that modifier. So: what is that main noun?

Generally, when you have a "one of" or "some of" or "two of" kind of set-up for a modifying clause, then you use the noun that is in the prepositional phrase as your main noun. In the above case, that would be students.

You can have exceptions in which you have a "noun + short prep phrase" followed by a modifier word in which the first noun is actually the main noun. eg "He hated the computer on his colleague's desk, which beeped annoyingly at random times." The computer is beeping, not his colleague's desk. :) You can't reasonably re-write that as "He hated his colleague's desk's computer, which beeped annoyingly..." so you just have to live with the short prepositional phrase separating "computer" and "which."

But if you've got the "one of (some group)" modifier set-up, this doesn't meet the above exception - you just use the "some group" part to decide how to conjugate the verb sitting in the modifying clause.

The third example:
One of the students believes that math is boring.
<Subject> <prep phrase> <verb> that <subj, verb, etc>
So we're back to the subj-verb thing here, not a modifying situation. Because "believes" needs to match with a subject, and prep phrases can't contain subjects, "one" is the only noun left to qualify as the subject.

Note: some people get confused because this one contains a "that" too. Notice that in the second example, we had <noun> that <verb> - that's a modifier structure. In the third example, we have <noun> <verb> that <noun> <verb> - that's a dual subj-verb agreement structure, with one noun-verb pair before and one after the "that."
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

simplicity

by samirnajeeb » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:50 am
let's try to simplify the rule ... for a moment, just forget about this rule

now see the example:
The swarm (of flies) was very dense.

now it's clear whether to use 'was' or 'were'. there could be sentences that get complex.

the number of cars that were present in the city area was increasing.

now let's simplify this example:
the number (of cars that were present in the city area) was/were increasing.

here 'that' defined cars, so 'were' should be used.
the number of cars, which were parked in the city area, was increasing.

here 'which' defines cars.

He is one of the students who believe math is boring.
likewise 'who' defines students, so 'believe' is used.

One (of the students) believes that math is boring

i hope it clarifies, i tried :)