What to specialize in?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

What to specialize in?

by gmattester123 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:19 am
Hi all. Thanks to this forum, I obtained my target GMAT score, did well at my interview, and have been accepted into my primary MBA program of choice!

Now, according to my program, there are various specializations that students must choose from. There are about 10+ different specializations, but only two have caught my attention. The two specializations are "Strategic Management," and "Information Technology." About 50% of the MBA students in my program graduate with a specialization in Strategic Management, but only 1% of MBA students graduate with a specialization in Information Technology. FYI, my background is Infromation Technology and my long term career goal is to become a CTO/CIO one day.

The summary of the specialization in Strategic Management is as follows: "This specialization equips students with the concepts required to implement strategies that lead to superior performance of a business."

The summary of the specialization in Information Technology is as follows: "This specialization prepares students for positions as IT/management consultants, technology managers, and mangers of IT departments in many industries."

While 50% of graduates in my program choose to specialize in Strategic Management, I am leaning towards the specialization in Information Technology (even though only 1% of graduates pursue this specialization). The specialization in Information Technology simply has more "practical" courses for me that I can benefit from.

Which brings to my main question - how many companies out there ask for what you specialized in for your MBA? My understanding is that most companies mostly consider your MBA degree and the school you got it from, but don't ask about your MBA specialization.

Any other feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!