what to do and how to do?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

what to do and how to do?

by rishi.riddle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:56 am
No problem to Big problem!
I had been preparing for GMAT since 5 months. I really worked hard in these last 5 months.
Before joining the GMAT coaching for preparation I had given the first mock test, in which I scored 330 only! (No problem)
Then I started the preparation for GMAT and targeted for 700 score. (No problem)
After the 3 months from the first mock test, I took many GMAT practice tests, in which I scored from 450 to 610. (No problem)
Then I came to know that for me 700 score is not possible within the preparation of 5 months. So I targeted for 500 to 600 score. (No problem)
I was confident for atleast 530 GMAT score. . (No problem)
When the JUDGEMENT DAY (GMAT test) comes, I scored 420 ONLY in it. (Big problem)

I really get disappointed from this score. I have decided to retake the exam, but what should be the strategy for 600 score.
Can someone suggest me, what should I have to do new? So, I don't get again unexpected score?
I really thankful if someone guide me!

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:11 am
Kaplan has a saying, "if you don't change how you take the test, you won't change your score".

You need to understand what mistakes you are making and why. Are you reading problems incorrectly? Do you not know the material? Are you making careless errors? Are you mixing up signs?

Try putting together an error log that identifies exactly why you missed each problem. Look for trends. You will never see any of your practice problems on the actual test. You need to learn the content and the strategies. By thoroughly analyzing your own mistakes you can identify changes in your approach. By correcting a trend, you correct several problems, making quantitative jumps in your score.

Don't overlook the questions you answer correctly. First, note those questions you were unsure of or guessed on a practice test. Too many people guess because they don't know the answer for sure. If they get lucky and guess correctly they never understand how to get to the true answer. You can't rely on correct guesses on test day. Examining your correct answers also helps you understand what you are doing right so that you can duplicate that on test day.

You may find that a good strategy-based prep course, such as Kaplan's, (available online anywhere) will help you learn the correct approach to the test. An experienced tutor can also help you identify consistent errors that are interfering with your score.

Just taking practice tests without analyzing and understanding your performance is a waste of time. It is like practicing target shooting with your eyes closed. If you don't clearly understand what you are doing wrong and what you are doing right, you cannot consistently score at the level you desire.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff