What the......did the Official GMAT just cheat me???????

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
SCANDAL!!!!!

I took the official GMAT today and near the end of the Quant section I looked at the clock at question 34 and I had just a few minutes left, then suddenly I was on question 37. I may have answered one more question after 34, but unless I have gone crazy the GMAT skipped one or two questions. I had more time than I should have on the last question. I thought my mind was just playing tricks on me and continued on and finished my test.......THEN I saw my quant score!!!!!! I took the test 2 months ago and got a Q-42. I've taken 4 practice tests since then including Gmat prep two days ago and never scored less than that since. I GOT A Q-32 today!!!! How is a 10 point drop possible? What the crap!!!! Could the GMAT program have messed up like that? I filed a request to look at my test for irregularites and I plan on calling GMAC on Monday. Any other ideas?

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF ANY KIND OF COMPUTER GLITCH WITH THE OFFICIAL GMAT LIKE THIS? HELP!!!!!

(So I'm being quite dramatic here to get attention in hopes of some useful replies. I'm not trying to make excuses and I'm not a weird person that goes for conspiracies theories.)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by sumithshah » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:03 pm
If I were you, I would complain. Whats the worst that can happen ( not much ) but whats the best that can happen ( they cancel this current score of yours and give you a free test )

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:46 am
I'm going from memory here, but there were, in the past, one or two instances of algorithm failure that affected many test-takers- I just can't remember if that was on the GMAT or the GRE, but I could look that up. Those happened several years ago, though, and I haven't heard of any such issues recently. So it would surprise me if there was a computer issue with your test. Still, GMAC should have a record of your test performance- the questions you saw and how you answered them- so they will be able to look at it and see if anything bizarre occurred. GMAC certainly tries very hard to ensure that everyone has a fair test, and if you had a genuine problem, I'm sure they will do their best to correct it.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by eshahid » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:05 am
Please place a complaint with GAMC if you have not already. This is no fault of yours and you should not bear the brunt. Why should you suffer if some stupid computer chose to misbehave.
I sincerely hope that GMAC will rule in your favour, pull your socks for a re-take. All the best.
Shahid E

=========================================
"DESTINY is not a matter of chance, Its a matter of CHOICE"

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rdxb » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:17 am
I had a similar experience, my computer hanged in the middle of the exam. They had to restart the PC, the test continued with the remaining questions, but I lost some time and panicked a lot (perfectly acceptable behavior i believe :D )

I wrote a long detailed mail to Pearson VUE ,and they gave me an incident number, and then analyzed the exam, and have offered me a free retest.

You may check out this link, it helped me relieve my stress :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-testing ... html#80771

All I would suggest is mail them , fax them, call them or meet them.. but dont let yourself suffer for somebody else's fault.

They must have analyzed my exam with the help of security cameras, and the panic scene i created, but they definitely must be having some record of the questions as well, which can help analyze in your favour..

Have faith, things will work out fine.
Try to look at the positive side, you can work on your mistakes and get a better score this time.

Best Wishes,
Ruchi