What should I read first: Stimulus or Question Stem?

This topic has expert replies

In a CR question, what do you read first?

Stimulus
29%
Question Stem
71%

Total votes: 14

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi everyone,
I tried to do some searching on the forum but couldn't find my answer. I apologize if there is a thread that I missed.

My question is that in CR, should I read the question stem first or the stimulus? I took Vertias prep and they suggested to read the question stem first, but now I am going over PowerScore CR Bible and it strongly suggests that I read the stimulus first. Which one should I trust? What do you guys usually do? I have heard so many good things about PowerScore CR Bible that I am inclined to go with their strategy.

Please give any quick comments

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:164 members
GMAT Score:800

by Testluv » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:05 am
Well, Step 1 of the Kaplan method for CR is to read the question stem and identify the question type first. This is because the kind of question it is influences the way you read the stimulus. If it is an assumption or stn/wkn question you are identifying conclusion and evidence as you read. But if it is an inference or resolve the paradox question, you are treating the entire stimulus as a bunch of true facts. If you read the stimulus first, then you are reading without your instructions; this often results in a lot of re-reading. I think it is better to get your instructions first.
Kaplan Teacher in Toronto

by DestroyTheGMAT » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:15 am
Thanks Testluv!
That's what I thought was a better option, and I was surprised to read PowerScore CR Bible telling the opposite. They dedicated a whole page as to why we should read the stimulus first and not the question stem (https://powerscore.com/newmedia/GMAT-Cri ... pter-2.pdf), if you check the 3rd page.

Thanks again for your response well in detail

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by heshamelaziry » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:51 am
I prefer to read the question stem first

by kellygreen » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:40 pm
My instinct is to jump right in to the stimulus, but I'm trying to get in the habit of reading the stem first, since that's the advice I keep seeing from the test prep advisors. I'm kind of surprised to hear somebody's giving the opposite.