What schools are reasonable - High Level Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I am thinking of applying for the Fall of 2010. I want to know what schools are reasonable for my profile. I understand that any suggestions will be directional given that you can only suggest so much detail through a message board, but it would be good to know if I should "swing for the fences" (Top 5) or bunt (Top 20). I am also curious if a "750" is actually impressive these days. I reviewed BusinessWeek's median GMATs for the top-tier schools, and Standford was as high at 730!

--------

Undergrad: Queen's School of Business, Canada
Major: Strategy Minor: Econometric Math
GPA: 3.9-4.0
EC: Head of Strategy, Student Board of Directors; Head of Business School Orientation Committee

Work Experience:
2005 - Bain and Company Associate Consultant Intern
2006 - 2008 - Bain and Company - Analyst in Toronto/Chicago
2008 - Current - Associate, Resort Development, Harrah's Entertainment, Hong Kong/Macau (with a team of TPG and McKinsey/Bain) reporting to President of Asia

GMAT: 750 (Q48 V45)

Other
* Volunteer on weekends teaching English/Music to "cage" families (families in China who live in houses 100-150 square feet)
* Traveled to over 30 countries across Asia, Europe, Americas
* Lead the office social program at Bain during my tenure

Goals upon graduation
*Harrah's Hong Kong and/or return to Bain and Company as Consultant (left on good terms)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740

by HelenF » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:33 am
Hello,

On the basis of the informtion you've posted, I'd say you have the foundations to be competitive at any of the 'top' schools. My one question mark in this regard would be your current community invovlement - from what you say it's not clear if it's a substantial volunteering commitment (eg a reasonable amount of time on a regular and frequent basis over a sustained time period) or something more casual/temporary. 750 is a good score, but once you've reached the 'good enough' threshold for top schools, a score that goes over and above has only limited value in making you more desirable as a student.

What will make the difference to your eventual success are the things beyond what you've put here. How have you made an impact professionally and excelled above and beyond the other accomplished people in your peer group? What experience do you have of leadership, of team work, of innovating and making a difference? And then there is how you express all that, along with why you need an MBA and why that particular school is right for you, through your essays, and how your recommenders support your application through their input.

In terms of thinking about which schools to apply to, I suggest thinking about whether it's more important to you to be starting a program in 2010, or to be getting into a 'top' school. If it's the former then think about applying to 'safety' schools as well. If the latter, then shoot just for the top.

Good luck with whichever route you choose.

Helen
Helen Foster | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com