following equations CANNOT holdtrue?

(A) x + y = 0
(B) y - z = 0
(C) xyz = 0
(D) x - y = z
(E) xyz = 1

[spoiler]OA:B[/spoiler]

* /x/ = absolute x
Vincent. The original question tells us that mod x > mod y > mod z .........equation 1

Since mod of an number is always positive. for example mod 2 = 2 , mod -2 = 2 , mod 1/2 = 1/2 , mod 0 = 0 so on..

Equation 1 transforms into x > y > z ( note that x,y,z can be -infinity, -2 , -1 , -1/2 , 0 , 1/2 , 1, 2)

Question then asks us to find the option that cannot be true.

1. x + y = 0 ? ermm.. i can't think of any combination where x + y = 0, because for this to be true x = -y and this would violate mod x > mod y condition because then mod x will be equal to mod y

2. y - z = 0 , for this to be true, y should be equal to z, which is impossible .. eliminate.

3. xyz=0 , Let x,y,z be 2, 0 -1 xyz= 0 , hence eliminate

4. x - y = z Let x,y,z be 3 2 1 , x - y = z hence eliminate

5. xyz = 1 Let x,y,z be 8 1/2, 1/4 xyz = 1 eliminate.

Are you sure you have copied the question correctly? What is the source?
Founder of Consulting Network: https://consultingnetwork.co.in - A portal for consultants

Facebook Page for Consulting Network: https://www.facebook.com/globalconsultingnetwork

My Blog: https://outspoken-mind.blocked

730 Debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/730-q49-v41- ... 80010.html

Legendary Member

by goyalsau » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:26 am
15. If / x / > / y / > / z /, which of the
following equations CANNOT holdtrue?

(A) x + y = 0
(B) y - z = 0
(C) xyz = 0
(D) x - y = z
(E) xyz = 1

both the options A & B, are correct.
so please check once again if you have committed any mistake in copying it,
if that is not the case then come with the solution

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by roh00kan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:40 am
This question says |x| > |y| > |z|. So, we are sure that
|x| not equal to |y| not equal to |z|.

Looking at the answer choices, either A or B could be the answer.

A => says x + y = 0. That is x = -y. This cannot be true as per the question.

B => says y - z = 0 cannot be correct. Choice B says, y = z, irrespective of signs of 'y' and 'z'. This violates the initial info.

So the answer could be A or B.

Can you check the choice A?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Vincent Vega » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:31 am
Yes, my thoughts exactly. When I took the test, I went through A first and realized that it was the 'right' answer so immediately wrote A. If I had looked at B though, I've would've taken way more time than necessary.

This question original answer is B. Is from Peterson's Master the GRE 2009 book. I'm taking the GRE and this is by far one of the best forums out there so... GRE invasion.

Anyways I'll copy their answer:

'15. The correct answer is (B). For equation (B) to hold true, y must equal z, which is impossible given that / y / > / z /. Equation (A) could be true because it is possible that x = -y. Equation (C) could hold true because it is possible that any one of the three variables could equal 0 (zero). Equation (D) could hold true-for example, if x = 3, y = 2, and z = 1. Equation (E) could hold true-for example if x = 2, y = 1, and z = 1 / 2'

by Vincent Vega » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:45 am
mohit11 wrote:
Hi mohit,
I agree with everything you wrote except this:

3. xyz=0 , Let x,y,z be 2, 0 -1 xyz= 0 , hence eliminate

x=2
y=0
z= -1
so / y / < / z /

the only way this equation holds true with the premise is that z = 0. If you check Princeton's answer, it says any of them could be 0, which is not true.

There was another question on the Verbal section that the answer was 'A' and on the answer sheets stated 'B'. On the explanation page, It said' B' but with A's choice. Simple typo I guess, but its making me reluctant about studying from that book.
Last edited by Vincent Vega on Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Vincent Vega » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:47 am
Oh and thanks for the replies!

I suck at quoting btw.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:19 am
Vincent Vega wrote: This question original answer is B. Is from Peterson's Master the GRE 2009 book. I'm taking the GRE and this is by far one of the best forums out there so... GRE invasion.

'15. The correct answer is (B). For equation (B) to hold true, y must equal z, which is impossible given that / y / > / z /. Equation (A) could be true because it is possible that x = -y. Equation (C) could hold true because it is possible that any one of the three variables could equal 0 (zero). Equation (D) could hold true-for example, if x = 3, y = 2, and z = 1. Equation (E) could hold true-for example if x = 2, y = 1, and z = 1 / 2'
Unless one of the inequalities is a 'greater than or equal' inequality, then your analysis is perfect, and A and B are both good answers.
Vincent Vega wrote:If you check Princeton's answer, it says any of them could be 0, which is not true.
Yes, again, you're right, and they are not. It sounds like you understand the content better than the author of the book, so I'd recommend you try working from different material :)

And you may want to clarify which book you're using, since you first mentioned 'Peterson', then later 'Princeton', and those are two completely different companies. It may help others here to know which resources contain errors like the ones quoted in this thread.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by mohit11 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:29 am
Ian i have a small query,

I've been scoring at the 45- 46 level consistently. There are two problems for me not reaching the 50-51 level. A) Careless mistakes 2) Poor time management.

Do you think that people who score 50-51 are just quicker than others? or that they guess early on to avoid having 12 mins remaining for the last 6-7 questions. I would be interested in hearing your take on this.
Founder of Consulting Network: https://consultingnetwork.co.in - A portal for consultants

Facebook Page for Consulting Network: https://www.facebook.com/globalconsultingnetwork

My Blog: https://outspoken-mind.blocked

730 Debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/730-q49-v41- ... 80010.html

by Vincent Vega » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:44 am
Ian Stewart wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote: This question original answer is B. Is from Peterson's Master the GRE 2009 book. I'm taking the GRE and this is by far one of the best forums out there so... GRE invasion.

Unless one of the inequalities is a 'greater than or equal' inequality, then your analysis is perfect, and A and B are both good answers.
Vincent Vega wrote:If you check Princeton's answer, it says any of them could be 0, which is not true.
Yes, again, you're right, and they are not. It sounds like you understand the content better than the author of the book, so I'd recommend you try working from different material :)

And you may want to clarify which book you're using, since you first mentioned 'Peterson', then later 'Princeton', and those are two completely different companies. It may help others here to know which resources contain errors like the ones quoted in this thread.
Yes, my mistake. It is Peterson's GRE 2009 GRE book. Peterson.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:31 pm
mohit11 wrote:Ian i have a small query,

I've been scoring at the 45- 46 level consistently. There are two problems for me not reaching the 50-51 level. A) Careless mistakes 2) Poor time management.

Do you think that people who score 50-51 are just quicker than others? or that they guess early on to avoid having 12 mins remaining for the last 6-7 questions. I would be interested in hearing your take on this.
Hi Mohit,

higher scores could be the result of a number of factors; however, better section management is almost certainly one of them.

Section management means a number of things, including:

- rapidly evaluating questions and consistently choosing the "best" approach (I say "best" because that's a subjective decision - what's best for you may not be best for someone else);

- knowing when to guess and when to spend more time on a question;

- clock management; and

- having a plan and executing it efficiently.

Two people with equal math knowledge can get vastly different scores depending on how they each manage the test.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course