What's the difference private vs public schooling

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Excuse my ignorance, but I come from Canada where all universities are public I believe. What is the difference between public and private universities?

I am looking at some schools in California and UCLA and USC are two of them - UCLA is public yet USC is private. Anyone care to elaborate on what that means?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:00 pm
DvdBonan wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but I come from Canada where all universities are public I believe. What is the difference between public and private universities?

I am looking at some schools in California and UCLA and USC are two of them - UCLA is public yet USC is private. Anyone care to elaborate on what that means?
\

Not a dumb question at all. At the business-school level, it doesn't make that much of a difference. The two biggest differences are where schools get their operating funds and whether or not they have certain requirements for letting in a certain percentage of the residents of their state (i.e. province for you.)

Hope that helps.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)