What's a good profile

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

What's a good profile

by anchit » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:34 pm
hey guys,
have just started preparing for the GMAT. I know that over 700 on the GMAT is a safe territory but just want to know what is considered a good profile to get an admit from a decent B-school...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vivecan2005 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:55 pm
anchit wrote:hey guys,
have just started preparing for the GMAT. I know that over 700 on the GMAT is a safe territory but just want to know what is considered a good profile to get an admit from a decent B-school...
Generally Speaking, A good score is considered between 680 till 720. Any score over 700 will put you in list of consideration.

by anchit » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:16 am
thanks for that... could you elaborate on the kind of profiles that the b-schools prefer, in terms of the work experience, academics and extra curricular activities....

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:19 am
Its a very difficult question. But on a general scale, they like a person with quality work experience, a unique background who can handle the academic rigor and has a nice story to tell! In short they seek candidates who are bright and stand apart from the crowd.
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

by anchit » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:24 am
lets hope my profile fits in somewhere... will be taking the test sometime in june last week or july first week. Have just started studying.. any guidelines on the prep front... i've also joined "Jamboree" for my prep...

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:35 am
There are many characteristics that an admissions committee will consider when reviewing your application. First, you need to show that you can do the work - this can be demonstrated by the quality of your undergraduate institution and your grades in undergrad and/or a GMAT score. Showing a history of progress and success at a brand-name firm can also show your ability to succeed (this is "proven" by promotions, raises and great letters of recommendation).

Keep in mind that plenty of candidates with good grades from top schools (and over 700 GMAT scores) are still rejected every year. In addition to "proving" that you can handle the work, you also need to demonstrate that you will be a valuable addition to a business school class (stories of professional success help here - at least 4 years of experience is good) and that you are a well-rounded person (extracurriculars/community involvement). Lastly, you need a compelling story as to WHY you want to go to business school. Surprisingly, many applicants do not convey this in their essays. They will talk about how great they are but not why they need a business degree to get to the next step/stage.

So, simply, it is a complex process for admissions committees and there are many facets that they look at in reaching their decisions. Grades and/or GMAT alone will not guarantee you a spot. Finding a school that is a good "fit" for you is important as well.

Hope this helps! I'm happy to answer more specific questions if you have them!
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by anchit » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:15 pm
thanks a ton Jessica...