What next

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

What next

by SrivastavaRicha » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:24 pm
Hi All

I have my GMAT scheduled in exactly one month from now. I have been using the MGMAT study guides and have completed practicing the Official Guides twice. I gave 3 practice tests last month with scores as follows:

Practice test 1 Kaplan 2012 : 620
Practice test 2 by GMAT Prep : 660
Practice test 3 by Manhattan online : 600

These are not the best of scores I am expecting. Can anyone suggest on how to go about the preparation from now? I have 3 practice tests from Kaplan and one test from GMAT Prep remaining. I can easily spare 4-6 hours per day for the studies.

Thanks

Richa

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:33 pm
Hey Richa,

Assuming you don't have an issues with pacing, I would go back through your last 3 practice tests and create an error log for all your incorrect questions. If your score is stuck in the low 600's, my guess is you have some gaps in your content knowledge that need addressing, and you likely might need a more methodical strategy for CR, RC, and DS.

Create at least four columns in an Excel document to start. You may want to add additional columns for more in-depth comments or to log your new answers after you re-take the questions, but to start you will need these four categories: Question, Concept Tested, Correct Answer and Why, and Reason for Mistake. For the "Question" tab, you may want to add just the location of the question, or you may want to type/copy and paste the entire question in the field.

Create tabs separated by question type. This will make reviewing so much easier, and will allow you to focus on only one question type at a time. For GMAT, the tabs should read: Problem Solving, Data Sufficiency, Sentence Correction, Reading Comp, and Critical Reasoning.

Add to the error log immediately after each study session from now on. The Error Log will only work if you continue to add to it on a slow and steady basis. If you wait until you've finished half the study guide, there is no way you will want to type all of that information into your spreadsheet! Adding to it right after you finish the questions will help you better retain the correct process to solve.

Review the error log before each study session. Before you sit down to work on some Critical Reasoning, for example, go back to your CR tab and review the questions you've answered so far. Sort the data by "concept tested" and look for trends in the data. Maybe you find yourself getting more Assumption questions incorrect than Fill in the Blanks. Notice any trends in the data and ask yourself: why am I getting this type of question wrong? It may be a sign you need to review your strategy.

Good luck!
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by SrivastavaRicha » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am
Thanks a lot for your detailed reply Vivian! I will incorporate your suggestions in my study plan from today!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:37 am
Hi Richa,

Firstly we would say that stay positive and such anxieties are common during exam preparation
time. Juggling between work and studies is tough so you need to define a significant time for your
GMAT preparation. Sometimes taking few days off work for preparing for the GMAT can help a
person tremendously. If you have time this may not be a bad idea. Take practise GMAT tests to see
how you are doing. If you cannot do that don't worry. What might work instead is to set aside 1-
2 hours at night on weekdays and major part of your weekend to study and prepare for GMAT-
in this case we will suggest a good 2-3 months preparation. However we recommend you to keep
taking practise tests to gauge your performance. It will help you in identifying your weak areas
and you can focus on them accordingly. You might be able to study more than the given hours and
that would take you less than 2-3 months. It all depends on your potential really.

There are various ways you can use to practise for your GMAT. You might need to change your
practise style and try this combination to provide you flexibility and different styles to practise so
it doesn't get monotonous.

It could be combination of-

1-Books- Books like- The Official Guide for GMAT Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal
Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review etc could be used.

2-Online Study Guide: Websites like Knewton, Grockit etc provide you with practise questions
online.

3-Smart phone applications- Kaplan, Veritas etc offer applications to prepare for GMAT on your
smart phones