What is the value of x?

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

What is the value of x?

by mehravikas » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:52 pm
S9-25 If x = 0.rstu, where r, s, t, and u each represent a nonzero digit of x, what is the value of x?

(1) r = 3s = 2t = 6u
(2) The product of r and u is equal to the product of s and t.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by umaa » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:43 am
1. r=3s=2t=6u

2. r*u=s*t

If you consider the first statement, r should be divided by 6.

Take r as 6,

u=1; s=2; t=3

6*1 = 2*3

So, r=6

x=0.6231

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Option A

by rdadbhawala » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:21 am
Statement 1 is enough.
We have that r = 6u, and we have that all r, s, t, u are non-zero digits, i.e. in the range from 1 to 9 (both inclusive). There is only one such combination: u = 1 (because if u = 2, r becomes 12, which is not possible). And since we know the unique value of u, we know that x = 0.6231.

Statement 2 is not eough.
We have that r * u = s * t.
Thus 1 * 1 = 1 * 1, i.e. x = 0.1111
OR 1 * 2 = 2 * 1, i.e. x = 1122.

Thus option A.
khudi ko kar buland itna, ke har taqdeer se pehle,
khuda bandae se khud puchhe, ke bataa, teri razaa kya hai ...
... Iqbal.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by pharmxanthan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:58 pm
Should we consider r, s, t, and u as different digits or same digits? In some questions, I have seen that if the variables are different (for example: x and y), then we consider different numeric values for those variables (for example: x=2 and y=3 (NOT x=2 and y=2))?

In this question, the answer does not change wether we assign same or different numeric values to the variables. My query is about what GMAT expect us to considerif there is no explicit mention that the variables are different.

Thanks!

Legendary Member

by goyalsau » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:36 pm
pharmxanthan wrote:Should we consider r, s, t, and u as different digits or same digits? In some questions, I have seen that if the variables are different (for example: x and y), then we consider different numeric values for those variables (for example: x=2 and y=3 (NOT x=2 and y=2))?

In this question, the answer does not change wether we assign same or different numeric values to the variables. My query is about what GMAT expect us to considerif there is no explicit mention that the variables are different.

Thanks!
I am no Expert,
But i don't think there is any combination possible with similar digits
Considering any statements condition is applied........

if you have combination of numbers please share that, then only there will be ambiguity in the question , if there is no such combination available there is nothing with the question.........
Saurabh Goyal
[email protected]
-------------------------

EveryBody Wants to Win But Nobody wants to prepare for Win.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:80 members
GMAT Score:760

by sanju09 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:31 am
mehravikas wrote:S9-25 If x = 0.rstu, where r, s, t, and u each represent a nonzero digit of x, what is the value of x?

(1) r = 3s = 2t = 6u
(2) The product of r and u is equal to the product of s and t.

[1] If r, s, t, and u each represent a nonzero digit of x, then u can be nothing EXCEPT 1; and once any of the r, s, t, and u is found, the question is answered. Sufficient

[2] If r × u = s × t, then r, s, t, and u are in proportion; we could have more than one assignments to r, s, t, and u, including, may be they are all same. [spoiler]Insufficient

A
[/spoiler]
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha

Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:80 members
GMAT Score:760

by sanju09 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:39 am
pharmxanthan wrote:Should we consider r, s, t, and u as different digits or same digits? In some questions, I have seen that if the variables are different (for example: x and y), then we consider different numeric values for those variables (for example: x=2 and y=3 (NOT x=2 and y=2))?

Thanks!
The stem element "r, s, t, and u each represent a nonzero digit" is not sufficient for us to take r, s, t, and u as all different only. No more than the insertion of [1] can make us believe so.
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha

Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com