What is the ONE ultimate quant resource?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

What is the ONE ultimate quant resource?

by rudzuna » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:23 am
I got beaten by the GMAT on the 21st of February. Got V39 (88 percentile)and Q37 (42 percentile). My preparation was so so. I read all the Manhattan GMAT books.

I have always fancied myself in the verbal section so I did little to no study for that and I am happy with my score. I did all the Manhattan books for quant. Grasped all the concepts pretty well. I however found the questions in the actual test way more tricky than the concept checkers and the drills in the books.

I have little money to spend but I intend to take the test once more. I need to know what ONE resource may help with my quant. I have always been average with math and I think what killed me is the tricky questioning. So what book/course would be worth my money? I at least aim to be in 60th percentile in quant. I remain confident with verbal so will not be putting further effort towards that.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:37 am
Hi rudzuna,

How does your Quant Scaled Score on your GMAT compare to the ones on your practice CATs? On those practice CATs, did you review enough to know which Quant subjects you got wrong most often?

With your score, some emphasis on Data Sufficiency is probably warranted. These questions are more about organization and thoroughness than actual high-end math skills, so your "approach" to DS questions likely needs some work.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Michael Gonzalez » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:17 am
The OG - it's the only one written by GMAC.

I also started with the MGMAT stuff and was stuck in the low 40s (this is not to say that MGMAT makes bad products) but when I switched my attention to only GMAC-written problems, my score began a steady move up

Finished with a slightly disappointing 710 (8-47-41)

Best advice I can give... MGMAT, Kaplan, veritas... All great for strategies and learning but keep your "practice" in the official stuff - your scores will reflect.

by twhansbury » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:58 am
Micheal thats great advise, I totally agree the official material is the way to go. I'm using GMAT Prepsters online quant course because it integrates the official questions with lessons and strategy.