What is the logic behind Circular Permutation ?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I am unable to understand the logic behind Circular Permutation !

Can anyone tell me the basic concept behind it !
Not the bookish language but in own words !

by Nadir_T » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:16 am
Atlast,I myself found the answer to my question :!:

Here it goes .... :arrow:
Permutations are just ordered arrangements of a set or of a subset of elements.

Take the set {a,b,c}

We can order the elements to form new ordered sets
{a,b,c}
{a,c,b}
{b,a,c}
{b,c,a}
{c,a,b}
{c,b,a}

For a total of six unique orders, or permutations.

Notice that these have a starting point and an ending point... the elements are written in an order, yes, but from left to right in a line.

Suppose that there is no start or end, and the right-end wraps around back to the left-beginning in a closed loop, or circle.

{a,b,c} is the same as {b,c,a} and {c,a,b}. Element 'a' is followed by 'b', which is followed by 'c'... and 'c', if we are in a circle, is followed by 'a'. This order or pattern is true and the same for each of these three permutations. This makes them ONE circular permutation.

In fact, there are only two unique circular permutations for the set {a,b,c}. And those are:
{a,b,c}
{a,c,b}
Here is a real world example... :arrow:

Suppose five people are to sit in a row at the movie theatre. Each seat is unique, there are two ends and each seat has a specific position therein, with no regard to who sits where. This is a linear permutation. There are 5! = 120 unique permutations.

Suppose five people are to sit at a round dinner table. The main course is nearest to one seat (a reference point). These five people can sit at the dinner table in 5! = 120 unique permutations. Why? Because each seat is unique. The seats themselves are as unique as the people who are sitting. There is a reference point (the main course) and all seats have a relation to it. It is not unlike numbering the seats themselves.

Suppose five people are to sit at a round empty table. Here, any one seat is as good as the next. There is no reference, each seat is non-unique. It doesnt matter where the first person sits. It is his sitting that creates the reference point, and everyone else may sit relative to him. There are 4! = 24 unique seating permutations for these five people.
I got my doubts clear, hope yours are too :)[/quote]

by injotb » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:07 am
In general , you can solve the circle seating questions using the formula (n!/n) where n is the number of points/seating around a circle.

by jermy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:26 am
Circular permutation could happen as the result of evolutionary events, post translational modifications, or unnaturally engineered mutations. The two primary models suggested to explain the evolution of circularly permuted proteins are permutation by duplication and fission and fusion.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by jitsy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:53 am
Nadir_T wrote:I am unable to understand the logic behind Circular Permutation !

Can anyone tell me the basic concept behind it !
Not the bookish language but in own words !
Nadir_T, you may also look at this past post to understand this better.
If you appreciated my post or even just my time trying to help, please don't forget to click on 'Thanks' and say "Piece o' Cake mate" at the same time.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:17 am
It is simply the idea that rotating the positions around the circle does not change the orientation of the items. Thus, the formula is (n-1)!
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review