What about high GMAT but low GPA?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

What about high GMAT but low GPA?

by vbcannon » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:51 pm
What kind of school could I get into with a 650+ GMAT score and a 2.88 GPA and 2 years work and entrepreneurial experience?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:52 am
You should consider schools in the top 20 - 30 range if you are only looking at your stats. However, there are other factors that play a role in determining the strength of your application incl. the quality of your work experience, community involvement, unique characteristics, future goals, and LORs.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by appmentor » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:44 pm
One other thing to keep in mind: do you think you could pull up your GMAT score if you worked hard studying for a few months? If you're at 650+ right now, you might be a few hard months of studying away from a 700.

If you can hit the 700 mark, you'll be in a better position to try to describe your poor GPA while still displaying the ability to succeed in the classroom.

When you do write your applications and you shoot for top schools, be sure to explain your GPA in the "additional info" optional essay (or in another essay if it fits). When doing so, I always recommend that applicants don't make too many excuses. Be honest about it. Explain what happened, and explain how you've grown or changed since then and why the admissions committee should believe that you can succeed in their program.

Best of luck!
Corey
www.appmentor.com
Students helping prospective students
Essay Feedback and Advice

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by JJP » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:09 am
Hi,

What kind of work exp are the B-school looking for? Am working as a software engineer in consultant firm, in a web-based project as a developer. Is this work profile good enough?
:roll:
Cheers
Prasanna J

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Kelly McDonald » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:12 pm
I'll share my experience as I had a similar undergraduate GPA and 650 GMAT. My only difference is that I had a lot more work experience when I applied earlier this year. I'm in my early 30's and since I decided I wanted an MBA I decided to take several University classes in commerce (economics, accounting, stats etc). I mostly did them by corespondence at an acredited school (University of Athabasca), and really worked hard to earn straight A's. With a couple A's in my belt I was able to make a convincing case that I was a very different person from when I did my undergraduate. I only applied to one school (Cornell-Queen's eMBA) and was accepted without any problems. I'm now 6-months in and enjoying every second of it.

Good Luck

Kelly