Well, not the score I had hoped for ... thoughts?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
This morning I officially made it into the GMAT club, but not with the score I was hoping for. Here's my story ...

I was mentally prepared, had rested enough last night and was ready to tackle the test at 8:00 a.m. I arrived about 45 minutes early and they took me right away, so I got to start before any other test takers got there.

The essays were really easy. I didn't get a topic I couldn't handle. It felt good to get those out of the way. I then started quant and was amazed at how easy some of the questions seemed (verbal is my strength, not quant). Granted, I told myself to watch out for that, but I felt nearly all but a few questions were manageable.

I wasn't nervous, had great focus and was timing myself perfectly. I then moved on to verbal and thought almost all of those questions seemed quite difficult (and this should have been my strength). At the end of the test, I felt pretty good. I knew I guessed on some questions, but overall I felt like I had given it my absolute best. (I have never excelled at standardized tests, by the way.)

When I clicked to see the score, I was shocked to see 540 (Q34/V31). The fact that I did better on quant than verbal is actually quite funny! (At least in my world! :D )

So, I am torn between being okay with my score and feeling bad about it. I studied extensively for the past 10 weeks, which was a challenge given my busy work schedule. But, I made the time for it and really gave it my best.

So, please talk me off the edge of the cliff ... here's where I stand in terms of my application:
- The school I'm applying to (part-time program) has an average score of 610 and the mid-range/80th percentile is 560-680.
- When I went to an information session, the admissions director stressed (multiple times) not to worry only about your GMAT score, even if you don't think it's all that great -- it's only one component -- no matter the GMAT score, submit your application (um, okay)
- I have 15+ years work experience and am an executive
- I have great leadership experience and currently lead a team of 9 people
- My 5 essays are fabulous (my expertise is in internal/external communications) -- I spent 3-4 hours on each one and feel like they are top-notch
- I have 3 exceptionally strong letters of recommendation (two from high-ranking female executives -- one of them is C-level, the other one is from a Fortune 100 company)
- My GPA in college was 3.4

I have no interest in retaking the test. I would have loved a score in the low 600s, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. On any standardized test I have ever taken, I have always scored right around the national average. That's exactly what I did with the GMAT.

So, I shouldn't feel bad about this, right!?!?!?!?!?

(BTW, thanks for this great forum. I really appreciate all of the support I've gotten here!)
Last edited by black_cat on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

by ritz » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:33 am
so finally you are done with the test...
i wish you all the best for your apps & the admission process...

good luck.
Ritz

by xeqtr » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:38 am
with this kind of profile, I believe it is OK. But if you have some hours to dedicate you can easily take your score over 600 I think. But if you dont feel like retaking, then it is OK :)

by black_cat » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:47 am
By the way, I've made up a new nickname for the GMAT ... the GBRAT. That's how I feel about it today. :P

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:01 pm
Congrats on finishing! With your experience and story, it seems like your GMAT score won't be as big a factor as it would be for say a fresh college graduate. I think you may be right that the score is good enough to apply.

Thanks very much for sharing your experience with us! Good luck on the apps. :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by black_cat » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:23 pm
Not that this matters, but I just got my official score today and got a 6.0 on the essays. If the entire test could have been an essay, I would have been fine! :lol:

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:14 pm
Well, essays are the important part of your application. Just transfer that success you had with AWAs to your apps and you'll be great shape. :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by vgmat2 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:40 pm
Hey Black_cat,

Are you planning from Carlson school in MN or GSB/other in Chicago by any chance ? just curious

thanks
V-

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:580

by codesnooker » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:43 pm
black_cat wrote:If the entire test could have been an essay, I would have been fine! :lol:
Dear Sir,

I would thank GMAT that entire test is not on only essays otherwise people like us would not even dare to think about this test. Though, after long struggle I ready myself to make an attempt for this test.

Essays and SC are nightmare to me for the moment....

Good luck to you for the applications....