Weather planes

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Weather planes

by vikram_k51 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:19 am
722. The data collected by weather airplanes that fly into the heart of a hurricane are useful mainly for gauging the storm's structure and strength, not for the speed and the path of their movement.

(A) not for the speed and the path of their movement
(B) not for the speed and path of its movement
(C) not the speed and path of its movement
(D) and not the speed and path of their movements
(E) and not for the speed and the path of its movements

OA C

by riteshbindal » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:34 am
vikram_k51 wrote:722. The data collected by weather airplanes that fly into the heart of a hurricane are useful mainly for gauging the storm's structure and strength, not for the speed and the path of their movement.

OA C
Let's go for POE to help resolving it quickly.
"their" should be wrong because of subject verb agreement. "Storm's" should have "its", not "their". So A and D are out.
Now comes parallelism. We can not use "not for" as per parallelism structure here.
"useful mainly for gauging the storm's structure and strength" We do not need to use "for" because parallelism is between "storm's structure and strength" and second phrase. Parallelism is not between "for guaging..." and second phrase.
So out of B, C and E, B and E are out.
Left with C which is the correct answer :D
Please let me know if I am missing anything here or this helped in getting better understanding of the problem.

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:27 am
riteshbindal wrote:
vikram_k51 wrote:722. The data collected by weather airplanes that fly into the heart of a hurricane are useful mainly for gauging the storm's structure and strength, not for the speed and the path of their movement.

OA C

Let's go for POE to help resolving it quickly.
"their" should be wrong because of subject verb agreement. "Storm's" should have "its", not "their". So A and D are out.
Now comes parallelism. We can not use "not for" as per parallelism structure here.
"useful mainly for gauging the storm's structure and strength" We do not need to use "for" because parallelism is between "storm's structure and strength" and second phrase. Parallelism is not between "for guaging..." and second phrase.
So out of B, C and E, B and E are out.
Left with C which is the correct answer :D
Please let me know if I am missing anything here or this helped in getting better understanding of the problem.
Ritesh, agree with your explanation, but dont we need a conjuction to join the 2 clauses after the comma ?

by riteshbindal » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:43 am
I think it's not necessary here. And also, the options which have conjunction are gramatically incorrect. So the best answer in choices can be just C. GMAT doesn't give the best grammatical answers but we have to just choose whichever is best among the options :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

HI PANDEY

by siddharth rastogi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:14 am
HI pandey,

your question is

Ritesh, agree with your explanation, but dont we need a conjuction to join the 2 clauses after the comma ?

722. The data collected by weather airplanes that fly into the heart of a hurricane are useful mainly for gauging the storm’s structure and strength, not for the speed and the path of their movement.

OA C

actually, we are not compairing two diffrent clauses but are requited to just parallel the inbuilt noun phrases of a clause.

so in option c no conjunction is required.

EXPERTS PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.