• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

weakening argument

This topic has 2 expert replies and 13 member replies
Goto page
Next

weakening argument

In Ledland, unemployed adults receive government assistance. To reduce unemployment, the government proposes to supplement the income of those who accept jobs that pay less than government assistance, thus enabling employers to hire workers cheaply. However, the supplement will not raise any worker’s income above what government assistance would provide if he or she were not gainfully employed. Therefore, unemployed people will have no financial incentive to accept jobs that would entitle them to the supplement.

Which of the following, if true about Ledland, most seriously weakens the argument of
the editorial?

A. The government collects no taxes on assistance it provides to unemployed individuals and their families.
B. Neighboring countries with laws that mandate the minimum wage an employer must pay an employee have higher unemployment rates than Ledland currently has.
C. People who are employed and look for a new job tend to get higher-paying jobs than job seekers who are unemployed.
D. The yearly amount unemployed people receive from government assistance is less than the yearly income that the government defines as the poverty level.
E. People sometimes accept jobs that pay relatively little simply because they enjoy the work.
OA C

Can someone explain the logic behind this answer choice?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
77 messages
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
I think that if one is currently employed with wage X with a company and leaves his present job to join another company, his new wage will be more than X. So there lies a possibility that with every job switch, he will have an increase in wage.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Legendary Member
Posted:
748 messages
Followed by:
3 members
Upvotes:
Facebook Logo
"To reduce unemployment, the government proposes to supplement the income of those who accept jobs that pay less than government assistance" .... "the supplement will not raise any worker’s income above what government assistance would provide if he or she were not gainfully employed"

C states people who are employed and look for a new job tend can incirease their income rather than being unempoyed.
for instance once you get enough experience you can try for another job

https://amarnaik.wordpress.com
MBA blog
https://amarrnaik.blogspot.com/

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Legendary Member
Posted:
1261 messages
Upvotes:
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Facebook Logo
I didn't understand the passage, can somebody explain it in detail

What is supplement and what is gainfully employed????

jsasipriya wrote:
Quote:
In Ledland, unemployed adults receive government assistance. To reduce unemployment, the government proposes to supplement the income of those who accept jobs that pay less than government assistance, thus enabling employers to hire workers cheaply. However, the supplement will not raise any worker’s income above what government assistance would provide if he or she were not gainfully employed. Therefore, unemployed people will have no financial incentive to accept jobs that would entitle them to the supplement.

Which of the following, if true about Ledland, most seriously weakens the argument of
the editorial?

A. The government collects no taxes on assistance it provides to unemployed individuals and their families.
B. Neighboring countries with laws that mandate the minimum wage an employer must pay an employee have higher unemployment rates than Ledland currently has.
C. People who are employed and look for a new job tend to get higher-paying jobs than job seekers who are unemployed.
D. The yearly amount unemployed people receive from government assistance is less than the yearly income that the government defines as the poverty level.
E. People sometimes accept jobs that pay relatively little simply because they enjoy the work.
OA C

Can someone explain the logic behind this answer choice?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Legendary Member
Posted:
1172 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
Test Date:
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Supplement in this context: The government gives people without jobs $200 per week to help pay for food/shelter and so forth.

Gainfully employed really just means having a decent job that pays.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Legendary Member
Posted:
1261 messages
Upvotes:
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Facebook Logo

In that case how C weakens the passage?

C talks about employeed ppl and passage talks abt unemployed ppl

uwhusky wrote:
Supplement in this context: The government gives people without jobs $200 per week to help pay for food/shelter and so forth.

Gainfully employed really just means having a decent job that pays.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
1031 messages
Followed by:
253 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:

One important thing to note about Weaken questions is that the correct answer can either:

-Directly refute the conclusion
-Demonstrate that the premises can be true but that there is an alternate explanation other than the conclusion

Here, choice C provides that alternate explanation to the idea that "there is no incentive for people to select these jobs". The incentive is that, once they've worked at these jobs, they have a much higher chance of landing a better-paying job. Sure, they won't benefit immediately with a higher pay rate, but there is another benefit that provides that incentive.

I'd fixate in this case on the word "no" in "...no incentive". That's a pretty aggressive statement. If we can find just one incentive, that overrules "no incentive", and choice C provides just that (however indirect) incentive.

Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Legendary Member Default Avatar
Posted:
995 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
Good question, reply2spg:

One important thing to note about Weaken questions is that the correct answer can either:

-Demonstrate that the premises can be true but that there is an alternate explanation other than the conclusion

Here, choice C provides that alternate explanation to the idea that "there is no incentive for people to select these jobs". The incentive is that, once they've worked at these jobs, they have a much higher chance of landing a better-paying job. Sure, they won't benefit immediately with a higher pay rate, but there is another benefit that provides that incentive.

I'd fixate in this case on the word "no" in "...no incentive". That's a pretty aggressive statement. If we can find just one incentive, that overrules "no incentive", and choice C provides just that (however indirect) incentive.
Brian,
In C, don't you think that we are assuming to much which is generally not allowed in GMAT.
The statement is saying only about the people who are employed, I don't think that we should assume : unemployed people will get the low paying job in the hope that they will get a better job later.

instead E is looking a better option.
People sometime accepts the job because they enjoy it.
So we have some other incentive for the job here : No extra assumption.
What's wrong here ? please explain.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
292 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
Good question, reply2spg:

Brain,

A also gives indication about 'kind of incentives' unemployed people get in terms of 'no taxes' - This should also weaken the argument. Pls help

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
39 messages
I am not sure if i am answering your question, but the fnal conclusion says
Therefore, unemployed people will have no financial incentive to accept jobs that would entitle them to the supplement.

Now from the options given in the question, only option C shows some kind of incentive for employess who draw lesser salary and require government's intervention in the form of suplementing their income . These employees get a higher pay as compared to unemployed group when they shift jobs.

I hope this answers your confusion

Regards,
Mani

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
93 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Upvotes:

Suppose government assistance for unemployed adults is $10/hour

Let's take an unemployed adult.

Now, the new proposal is: If this unemployed adult accepts a job that pays less than government assistance (say this unemployed adult accepts a job that pays $8/hour), then the government would contribute $2/hour, so that this person's total income is $10/hour.

If we really look at it, for this unemployed adult,
i) If he doesn't work at all, then he gets $10/hour
ii) If he works, then also he gets $10/hour ($8/hour from his employer + $2/hour from Government)

So, if there is no difference in this person's income whether he works or does not work, the argument concludes that this person has no incentive to work.

We have to weaken this conclusion.

This is what C does. It says that this person, if he is working, is more likely to get a higher-paying job (say $12/hour) than if he is not working. That being the case, there is obviously an incentive for this currently unemployed person to take up even a low paying job right now, because taking up a current low paying job will basically brighten his future prospects (of getting a high paying job).

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posted:
17 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
Facebook Logo
What the editorial says is:

Now, the new proposal is: If this unemployed adult accepts a job that pays less than government assistance (say this unemployed adult accepts a job that pays $8/hour), then the government would contribute $2/hour, so that this person's total income is $10/hour.

ii) If he works, then also he gets $10/hour ($8/hour from his employer + $2/hour from Government)

So, if there is no difference in this person's income whether he works or does not work, the argument concludes that this person has no incentive to work.

This is what C does. It says that this person, if he is working, is more likely to get a higher-paying job (say $12/hour) than if he is not working. That being the case, there is obviously an incentive for this currently unemployed person to take up even a low paying job right now, because taking up a current low paying job will basically brighten his future prospects (of getting a high paying job).
Don't think that this reasoning is correct. The conclusion of the argument says that the unemployed adult has no financial incentive to accept a job in which he will get government assistance. (Therefore, unemployed people will have no financial incentive to accept jobs that would entitle them to the supplement). The argument is not just talking about the unemployed adult taking any job.

From the conclusion of the argument, I think the comparison is between jobs in which the person will get government assistance and jobs in which he will not get government assistance. And the argument says that there is no incentive in taking jobs in which he gets the government supplement.

I am stumped by this question. As per me, the credited answer, which is C, does not weaken the argument. It could hold true in both cases - whether he joins a job in which he gets the supplement or a job in which he doesn't.

To me, A looks reasonable (though not perfect). If there are no taxes on the supplement for "unemployed people" and assuming that there is no tax on supplement even when the person is employed, then there is a financial incentive to take up a job "that would entitle him to the supplement".

I am totally stumped by this question - can experts please point to something that I am missing?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posted:
17 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
Facebook Logo
bonetlobo wrote:
What the editorial says is:

Don't think that this reasoning is correct. The conclusion of the argument says that the unemployed adult has no financial incentive to accept a job in which he will get government assistance. (Therefore, unemployed people will have no financial incentive to accept jobs that would entitle them to the supplement). The argument is not just talking about the unemployed adult taking any job.

From the conclusion of the argument, I think the comparison is between jobs in which the person will get government assistance and jobs in which he will not get government assistance. And the argument says that there is no incentive in taking jobs in which he gets the government supplement.

I am stumped by this question. As per me, the credited answer, which is C, does not weaken the argument. It could hold true in both cases - whether he joins a job in which he gets the supplement or a job in which he doesn't.

To me, A looks reasonable (though not perfect). If there are no taxes on the supplement for "unemployed people" and assuming that there is no tax on supplement even when the person is employed, then there is a financial incentive to take up a job "that would entitle him to the supplement".

I am totally stumped by this question - can experts please point to something that I am missing?
On thinking again, I think that the scope of argument is just jobs in which you get the supplement and so C looks correct. Really tricky. One could argue that unemployed people will not get jobs which pay higher than the assistance else they would not remain un-employed in the first place. Again, I think this question is really tricky.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
18 messages
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
Can anyone explain why D is not a correct choice.
I think I am not able to understand it correctly.

It states that the financial assistance that the government provides to the people who have no other income or unemployed people is less than the average starting wage. As per this choice, the adults will indeed opt for jobs since their pay will be higher. What am I missing here ??

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
120 messages
Target GMAT Score:

Can someone explain why A is not a weakener, please.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code