Weak Undergrad Program?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Weak Undergrad Program?

by jpjp » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:45 am
How much does the perceived quality of your undergrad institution weigh in on MBA admissions? I went to a run of the mill state university (3.5 GPA) where the acceptance rate was somewhere in the 70% range (if not higher) - will this pretty much be a devastating blow to my chances at a top 20 MBA program? I'll have almost 5 years work exp at the end of this year (when I start applying), although I'm light on extra circulars/community service (plan to amp that up in the coming months). 700+ GMAT (already scored 700, may re-take and see if I can get it up a few more points).

Input is appreciated, thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant

by Sean McNeil » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:13 am
Hi jpjp,

The main way that your undergrad institution will have a flag is if your GPA was really low in an "easy" major. For example, if you had a 2.8 GPA in English it could work against you.

Anyways, you haven't blown your shot at top 20 programs based on your undergrad. Your strong GMAT score and GPA of 3.5 will essentially wash away the strength (or lack thereof) of your alma mater. You will need to pick up your extracurriculars and make sure that you have a compelling story, strong career goals, and quality work experience.

Best of luck!

-Sean
Sean McNeil
Marketing and Outreach
The Princeton Review