Weak in Math - prep before MGMAT Online?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by giuli » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:14 pm
Hello. I am going to be starting the MGMAT online course in a month. I have been out of school for some time and need to completely re-learn math for the GMAT. I have already worked through Barron's Math: The Easy Way(not a GMAT book but a basic math book) but I'm still concerned the math in the MGMAT course may be over my head.

Do you have any advice on how to further prepare before taking the MGMAT online course?

Or do you have any observations on the level of detail in the review of quant materials in the MGMAT online course?

Thank you.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by BrainFart » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:41 pm
Hi Giuli,

I am weak in math as well, and I actually just replied to a message "440 to 550 in a month."

Since I'm not a quant person, my focus has been re-learning my math, as well as improving my concentration and stamina. I found an old (2005) Kaplan GMAT and ripped out the GMAT Math Reference section. It's a list of 100 How To's. I've also been creating flash cards for the math topics I struggle with.

I started preparing with Princeton Review, but I find Princeton too focused on the short cuts and plug-ins, rather than providing clear explanations on how to solve the problems. Princeton's online drills and exercises are helpful, but the explanations are pretty thin. I ended up supplementing my Princeton with Manhattan GMAT online practice package ($40 for one year). I tend to fall for solving the algebra, and Manhattan GMAT gives me both the explanation and the plug-in option. I'm also using Kaplan's GRE & GMAT Math Workbook, which breaks down the problem types into basic, intermediate, and advanced, and this helps me gauge where I stand and what I need to focus on.

Hope this helps,
BrainFart

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by virtuoso902 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:34 pm
check out Kaplan's GMAT Math review book. I'm storming through this thing right now and it does a really good job of reviewing the basics and building on them. It'll make sure all of your fundamental math is there before you can even tackle the problems. After that you're ready to learn from MGMAT and tackle the OG12 monster.