Was beaten- 620 Q(47) V(28) - Need HELP to score 100 more!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Yesterday gave my second attempt and scored just 620, which is highly devasatating. My break down was Q(47) V(28). First attempt was 550 Q(43) V( 25).

Have not seen much improvement in Verbal. I was expecting above 700. Wondering and trying to figure out where i went wrong and whats my actual weakness in each section

Study Strategy followed:

Quans:
OG12 and OG 11 Probs
Manhattan Books for basics
GMAT Prep 175 collected questions

Verbal:
SC -
Manhattan SC Guide
OG 12 Probs
GMAT Prep 175
Spidey Notes
Psahil Notes
Adam/Jones - Bob - collection ( only first half)

CR -
CR Bible
OG 12/ 10 Probs
LSAT Sample Papers - around 300 Questions

RC -
Manhattan RC Guide
OG 12 Passages

MGMAT Tests - around 680 to 710
GMAT Prep 1 - 620
GMAT Prep 2 - 680
GMAT Prep 1 ( after Reset) - 710
GMAT Prep 2 ( after Reset) - 760

One thing i felt i was lagging was, after all SC or CR Questions, i was not confident enough on the answers.

Regarding each section wise,
CR was my strength. Since my accuracy was around 80 to 90 % during practice. But in GMAT Prep or Actual Test, I was not so confident on CR
SC was kinda night mare always for me. But was able to catch up during practice. But again was not very confident in GMAT Prep
RC was around 90% in GMAT Prep Tests. So its kinda OK though its not my strong area

Quans - I am not so strong in Geometry and Probability. Other than that, everything was kinda ok. May be need to do more practice on Data Sufficieny. Comparatively, DS is my weak area

Already i have taken my 2 attempts and really bothered/ scared (to be frank) to go for my third attempt. Because no of attempts would also matters. So in my next attempt, which i am gonna start to prepare, I really wish to crack with a pretty decent score - 720 +. So basically need 100 + more points.

Any thoughts or suggestions or advice or strategy in this regard will be really helpful, since really have no clue where i am going wrong and what more to refer. Any help is hightly appreciated

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:07 am
"One thing i felt i was lagging was, after all SC or CR Questions, i was not confident enough on the answers. "

That quote tells me all I need to know about what you're doing wrong. When you study going forward, do not focus on time at all until you have complete confidence in your answers. Look at it this way, timing doesn't matter if you finish the test on time and still only get around a 620, if your goal is a 700. For the next month or so, go through as much verbal material as you can and just aim for accuracy. Do not worry about how long it is taking you to do each question. Until you begin to understand why answers are correct and why answers are wrong, timing will be irrelevant. Focus on accuracy and after you get accuracy down, begin to focus on timing and accuracy. Good luck.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by chargal » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:41 am
Thanks osirus0830 !!

Have one more clarification, do i need to refer any other book or all these are pretty much Ok. Also can you please let me know any more mock test i can take other than MGMAT and GMAT Prep.

Any help is appreciated !!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:03 am
I would recommend taking the Kaplan CATs. I'm not sure how accurate their scoring algorithm is, but they do provide for good practice. You don't need any additional books, you have more than enough.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.