Wal-Mart

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

Wal-Mart

by atulmangal » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:14 am
Starting Thursday, Wal-Mart Stores is planning to offer free shipping on its Web site
on almost 60,000 gift items, including
many toys and electronics
A. is planning to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items,
including
B. plan to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items,
including
C. plans to offer free shipping on their Web site on almost 60,000 gift items,
including
D. will plan to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items,
including
E. is planning to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items,
that include

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:30 am
Starting Thursday, Wal-Mart Stores is planning to offer free shipping on its Web site
on almost 60,000 gift items, including
many toys and electronics

A. is planning to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items,
including
B. plan to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items,
including
C. plans to offer free shipping on their Web site on almost 60,000 gift items,
including
D. will plan to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items,
including
E. is planning to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items,
that include

Is this question correct because I am finding error in every option :-(

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:56 am
IMO E.

OA please.
Regards,

Pranay

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by blaster » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:38 am
i'm confused whether Wall Mart stores is singular or plural )))

IMO A

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:53 am
Hey Guys,

Well, when i read the OE i was confused with one thing, The OE said..."Wal-Mart stores" is the name of the company that's why takes a singular verb, but my question is, i can look this question in this way also:

Wal-Mart is the name of the company and Stores (plural) is the subject so take a plural verb.

I know that Wal-Mart is a company (one of the biggest discount departmental store started in US) but i didn't know that WAL-MART STORES collectively is the name of the company. Does GMAT test such question which requires this prior knowledge or there is some other indication in the sentence which m missing through which we can judge that Wal-Mart Stores is a company...
Please some expert or friend answer my question??

The OA is A

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:57 am
bubbliiiiiiii wrote:IMO E.

OA please.
@Pranay

A Tip if u find useful...

COMMA + THAT---> almost always WRONG in GMAT because COMMA + THAT introduces a NON-RESTRICTIVE CLAUSE...we generally use COMMA + WHICH

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:58 am
Well how are we supposed to know its the name , anyways Option A is the only options that goes consistent with the agreement , so we can choose A on that basis .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:35 am
well if this question appeared on the exam then we can go by A even if we dnt knw anythgn abt walmart or stores as its the only option which is consistent in SV and correctly uses including.

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:55 am
rohu27 wrote:well if this question appeared on the exam then we can go by A even if we dnt knw anythgn abt walmart or stores as its the only option which is consistent in SV and correctly uses including.
On What basis u reject Op B if u are not sure whether sub is sing or plural???

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:03 am
atulmangal wrote:
rohu27 wrote:well if this question appeared on the exam then we can go by A even if we dnt knw anythgn abt walmart or stores as its the only option which is consistent in SV and correctly uses including.
plan - plural
then its doesnt have any antecendent in B.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:14 am
atulmangal wrote:Hey Guys,

Well, when i read the OE i was confused with one thing, The OE said..."Wal-Mart stores" is the name of the company that's why takes a singular verb, but my question is, i can look this question in this way also:

Wal-Mart is the name of the company and Stores (plural) is the subject so take a plural verb.

I know that Wal-Mart is a company (one of the biggest discount departmental store started in US) but i didn't know that WAL-MART STORES collectively is the name of the company. Does GMAT test such question which requires this prior knowledge or there is some other indication in the sentence which m missing through which we can judge that Wal-Mart Stores is a company...
Please some expert or friend answer my question??

The OA is A
I would expect the GMAT to either not do that at all or to make clear elsewhere in the sentence that "Wal-Mart Stores" is singular, by referring to it as a singular in the non-underlined portion.

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:21 am
rohu27 wrote:
atulmangal wrote:
plan - plural
then its doesnt have any antecendent in B.
U can see Op B as

Wal-Mart ---> Adjective
Stores -----> plural noun
Plan -------> plural verb referring to plural noun "stores"

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:23 am
Jim@Grockit wrote:

I would expect the GMAT to either not do that at all or to make clear elsewhere in the sentence that "Wal-Mart Stores" is singular, by referring to it as a singular in the non-underlined portion.
Thanks for your post Jim, so in this question as there is no such indication (IT in non-underlined portion) we can expect that such questions will not appear in GMAT.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:32 am
atulmangal wrote:
Jim@Grockit wrote:

Thanks for your post Jim, so in this question as there is no such indication (IT in non-underlined portion) we can expect that such questions will not appear in GMAT.
I would be shocked and dismayed by a GMAT question that hinged on knowing the specific name of an American company. I realize not all schools in the entire world use the GMAT, but it simply isn't testing your knowledge of English with a trap like that.

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:31 pm
A Tip if u find useful...

COMMA + THAT---> almost always WRONG in GMAT because COMMA + THAT introduces a NON-RESTRICTIVE CLAUSE...we generally use COMMA + WHICH
Thanks Atul.

Then the OA has to be A. :)
Regards,

Pranay