Waive right or not to review recom.

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Waive right or not to review recom.

by ct799 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:48 pm
Ok,

i would like your advice because i have started freeking out today!!

I realised i have put in my first two application that i do not waive my right to review the letters of recommendation.

To be honest i had a look, and really did not choose to do this because i do not trust the recommenders. On the contrary, i do trust them and anyway since both of them are from my professional environment they have included what i have taken in my evaluations.

But now, i am reading that the AdCom might take this negatively.

Please give me your honest advice because i am already sweating on the idea that i will give negative impression from such a stupid question on my application overall which i have invested time, money et.c.

Thank you all!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:35 am
Hi CT799,

Breathe easy, good sir (or madam). You have not ruined your application. If anything, waiving your right to review the recommendation is a positive signal to the committee, but that doesn't mean that NOT waiving your right to review the recommendation is a negative sign. It's nice when you waive your right to review the application, because your recommenders can be as candid and honest as they would like to be, but since you trust your recommenders, you have nothing to worry about regarding whether they shared their "real" thoughts.

Relax and get back to completing your applications!

Good luck!
Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.

Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:10 am
I agree with Kaneisha that it isn't something you should worry about!! It is not a "make or break" situation and the applications are already submitted. However, in the future, it is preferable that you DO waive the right to review. It simply makes the LORs a bit more credible. So, for schools 3 and 4, simply waive your right!!
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options