Women enrolled in Higher Education

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

Women enrolled in Higher Education

by Dean Jones » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:29 am
Hi All,

I am facing difficulty in nailing this CR question, from 300+ CR question(source).

Please help me.

The proportion of women among students enrolled in higher education programs has increased over the past decades. This is partly shown by the fact that in 1959, only 11 percent of the women between twenty and twenty-one were enrolled in college, while in 1981, 30 percent of the women between twenty and twenty-one were enrolled in college. To evaluate the argument above, it would be most useful to compare 1959 and 1981 with regard to which of the following characteristics?

A. The percentage of women between twenty and twenty-one who were not enrolled in college

B. The percentage of women between twenty and twenty-five who graduated from college

C. The percentage of women who, after attending college, entered highly paid professions

D. The percentage of men between twenty and twenty-one who were enrolled in college

E. The percentage of men who graduated from high school

OA after some discussions.

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:31 am
IMO B
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

by gauravgundal » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:04 am
I would go with answer choice D
Conclusion: Proportion of women among students who enrolledhas increased over decade..
that means we have three things to look into.
1. Proportion of women.
2. Proportion of men. (since the conclusion of argument i.e is proportion of women increase is based on total students).
3.If data is compared with some different era(time period).

One of the authors assumption is that women between 20 and 21,inclusive contribute to the proportion of women in higher education programs.

A.Do it matter who were not enrolled in college? Nope. A is out
B. Graduated from college doesn't mean that the women enrolling and graduating from college are same.
It can happen that some women students failed multiple times and then all those who failed before were graduated in 1981 ,leading to increase in proportion of women graduated
C. nope.
E. same as B.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Surev » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:12 am
The question is to "To evaluate the argument" and the argument is that the proportion of women among students has increased.
The two percentage figures mentioned in the question compare the increase in the women enrollment in 1959 and 1981 but it does not compare the ratio between women enrollments in proportion to total students in each of those years.
If we have the enrollment figures for male students for the two years, proportion between male and female students can be made and thus the argument can be truly evaluated.
So D.

Followed by:1 members

by jainnikhil02 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:17 am
IMO C..
i concluded that one by elimination method..
Nikhil K Jain

"Life is all about timing" Don't waste your and others time.

by zaarathelab » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:30 am
A) The comparison is between women and the entire student population (women and men). Info on women who are not enrolled does not give any indication of increase of women %age wrt to student population

B) Irrelevant
C) Irrelevant
D) CORRECT. This will provide info on the rest of the student population percentage and validate the increase
E) Irrelevant

by M09 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:44 am
Dean Jones wrote:Hi All,

I am facing difficulty in nailing this CR question, from 300+ CR question(source).

Please help me.

The proportion of women among students enrolled in higher education programs has increased over the past decades. This is partly shown by the fact that in 1959, only 11 percent of the women between twenty and twenty-one were enrolled in college, while in 1981, 30 percent of the women between twenty and twenty-one were enrolled in college. To evaluate the argument above, it would be most useful to compare 1959 and 1981 with regard to which of the following characteristics?

A. The percentage of women between twenty and twenty-one who were not enrolled in college

B. The percentage of women between twenty and twenty-five who graduated from college

C. The percentage of women who, after attending college, entered highly paid professions

D. The percentage of men between twenty and twenty-one who were enrolled in college

E. The percentage of men who graduated from high school

percentage of woman enrolled = w'/S
w' enrolled out of W women
S total student = M + W -> M men & W women
Depends upon men
so D

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ace.gmat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:07 am
My answer is B

Followed by:5 members

by tuanquang269 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:49 am
imo D

Legendary Member

by mankey » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:25 am
Some expert please explain this one.

Thanks.

by hultt » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:41 am
Hey,
Sorry to re-open this question but i have one query.

D option> does this not assume that the men enrolled in the college belong only to twenty and twenty one. Assumption looks like that we are comparing men and women from only twenty and twenty one age group...why this assumption?

i too opted for D option as none other could fit in but still feel D also has some gaps.

please someone clarify..

Followed by:6 members

by dhonu121 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:53 am
None of the choices seem good.
However, only D seems close.
If I had to pick a choice, I would choose D.
If you've liked my post, let me know by pressing the thanks button.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:13 am
'The proportion of women among students enrolled in higher education programs has increased over the past decades.'

This is the conclusion in the above question. It clearly states the proportion of women among students enrolled in higher education programs has increased over the past decades.

proportion of women among students. so you need to D to evaluate the argument.
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

by hultt » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:05 am
Seems like yes we need to make the assumption that we are considering people b/w age of 20 and 21 only...and hence keep the argument within in the SCOPE..
sometimes i tend to go beyond the scope by inserting unnecessary reasoning...

Thanks people

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:55 pm
The main stimulus here is:

The proportion of women has increased which indirectly means some possibilities:

1. proportion of men went down by keeping women constant or increasing
2. proportion of women increasing is more than the men increasing

Either way we need to find the proportion of the men to find the statement to be true. So in order to evaluate this statement we need something that relates to men
Dean Jones wrote:Hi All,

Please help me.

A. The percentage of women between twenty and twenty-one who were not enrolled in college - This information will not be helpful for evaluating the increase in the proportion because if the rise in men is also same then the proportion will not change

B. The percentage of women between twenty and twenty-five who graduated from college - Irrelevant to the topic, as it deals btwn 20 & 25, as we need only 20 &21

C. The percentage of women who, after attending college, entered highly paid professions - Again this is irrelevant as it tells about after graduation

D. The percentage of men between twenty and twenty-one who were enrolled in college - This info as we discussed earlier is very useful in determining the proportion increase.

E. The percentage of men who graduated from high school - This is tempting but irrelevant as it tells abt after graduation.

Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---