Rhombus

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

Rhombus

by prachich1987 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:16 am
Quadrilateral ABCD is a rhombus and points C, D, and E are on the same line. Is quadrilateral ABDE a rhombus?

(1) The measure of angle BCD is 60 degrees.
(2) AE is parallel to BD

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:53 am
prachich1987 wrote:Quadrilateral ABCD is a rhombus and points C, D, and E are on the same line. Is quadrilateral ABDE a rhombus?

(2) AE is parallel to BD

st(1) angle ADC=(360-2*angle BCD)/2=120, angle ADE=60 + angle BDA=60 (or angle ADE/2=60) => angle BDE=120 but angle BAE-? Not sufficient
st(2) AE // BD is the property for many quadrilaterals, Not sufficient for rhombus

Combining st(1&2) angles EAD=ADB, thus angle BAE=BDE=120. Satisfies for both properties of rhombus - // opposite sides and = opposite angles.

IOM C

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:03 am
Night reader wrote:
prachich1987 wrote:Quadrilateral ABCD is a rhombus and points C, D, and E are on the same line. Is quadrilateral ABDE a rhombus?

(2) AE is parallel to BD

st(1) angle ADC=(360-2*angle BCD)/2=120, angle ADE=60 + angle BDA=60 (or angle ADE/2=60) => angle BDE=120 but angle BAE-? Not sufficient
st(2) AE // BD is the property for many quadrilaterals, Not sufficient for rhombus

Combining st(1&2) angles EAD=ADB, thus angle BAE=BDE=120. Satisfies for both properties of rhombus - // opposite sides and = opposite angles.

IOM C
Here the positions of points B,D,A out of BDAE are fixed.
Now if we draw a line through point A parallel to BD ,it will meet the extended CD at point E.
So once we draw such parallel line ,the position of E is unique & we can do nothing about it.
So it has to be a rhombus.
Please tell me where I am going wrong

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:88 members

by Rahul@gurome » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:48 am
prachich1987 wrote:Here the positions of points B,D,A out of BDAE are fixed.
Now if we draw a line through point A parallel to BD ,it will meet the extended CD at point E.
So once we draw such parallel line ,the position of E is unique & we can do nothing about it.
So it has to be a rhombus.
Please tell me where I am going wrong
Your logic is good, but the conclusion is wrong.
For any rhombus ABCD, the point E is fixed. But that doesn't mean BDAE is rhombus too. Certainly BDAE will be a parallelogram but not always a rhombus. Statement 1 provides the crucial information that measure of angle BCD is 60 degrees which in turn implies the length of the diagonal of rhombus ABCD is also equals to the length of sides thus makes it a special rhombus. Only for that particular rhombus, BDAE is also a rhombus.
Rahul Lakhani
Quant Expert
Gurome, Inc.
https://www.GuroMe.com
On MBA sabbatical (at ISB) for 2011-12 - will stay active as time permits
1-800-566-4043 (USA)
+91-99201 32411 (India)

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Sat May 26, 2012 1:48 am
I am getting the answer as C. Could somebody please help me in this question...

Statement 1 alone does not prove that AE is parallel to BD nor does it prove that Triangle AED is an equilateral triangle...

I need both the statements to prove that AEDB is also a Rhombus...

Help needed...
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:44 pm
Amit,

Refer here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mgmat-problem-t66431.html
[email protected] wrote:I am getting the answer as C. Could somebody please help me in this question...

Statement 1 alone does not prove that AE is parallel to BD nor does it prove that Triangle AED is an equilateral triangle...

Help needed...

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Sun May 27, 2012 1:31 am
[email protected] wrote:I am getting the answer as C. Could somebody please help me in this question...

Help needed...
We need both statements:

S1 gives us : <ADC = 120 ==> <ADB = 60 ==> <DAE+<DEA = 120

S2 tells us that AE is parallel with BD ==> angles <ADB = <DAE = 60 ==> <DEA = 60 ==> Traiangle ADE is equilateral ==> all sides of ABDE are equal.

IMO C

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun May 27, 2012 3:48 am
Quadrilateral ABCD is a rhombus and points C, D, and E are on the same line. Is quadrilateral ABDE a rhombus?

(2) AE is parallel to BD
Statement 1: BCD = 60 degrees
In the figure below, ABDE is a rhombus:
In the figure below, ABDE is not a rhombus:
Insufficient.

Statement 2: AE||BD
In the figure below, ABDE is a rhombus:
In the figure below, ABDE is not a rhombus:
Insufficient.

Statements 1 and 2 together:
If BCD is 60 degrees, and AE||BD, then all of the angles shown must be 60 degrees, all the triangles shown must be equilateral, and ABDE must be a rhombus:
Sufficient.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by amit28it » Mon May 28, 2012 3:58 am
I just want to give some general information about rhombus and I am giving the definition and properties of quadrilaterals as they are figures with four sides and four angles. There are many different types of quadrilaterals, which are classified by their sides and angles here are some examples-rectangle, parallelogram, trapezoid, rhombus, square and kite.
Linear Regression