video recorder problem

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member

video recorder problem

by ketkoag » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:13 am
Ian, this qustion has been posted here https://www.beatthegmat.com/video-record ... 34809.html . But i think there were some errors in the question stem.
i think the argument below is the correct statement.
please take a look at it and explain why the answer is D
Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early buyers apparently lost interest in obtaining videos to watch on it. The trade of businesses selling and renting videos is still buoyant, because the number of homes with video recorders is still growing. But clearly, once the market for video recorders is saturated, businesses distributing videos face hard times.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?
(A) The market for video recorders would not be considered saturated until there was one in 80 percent of homes.
(B) Among the items handled by video distributors are many films specifically produced as video features.
(C) Few of the early buyers of video recorders raised any complaints about performance aspects of the new product.
(D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them.
(E) In a shrinking market, competition always intensifies and marginal businesses fail.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by krisraam » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:39 pm
IMO C

Thanks
raama

Legendary Member

by mehravikas » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:44 pm
Premise - Early buyers lost interest....
Conclusion - once the market for video recorders is saturated, businesses distributing videos face hard times.

(A) The market for video recorders would not be considered saturated until there was one in 80 percent of homes. - Does not weaken the conclusion
(B) Among the items handled by video distributors are many films specifically produced as video features. - Can be considered
(C) Few of the early buyers of video recorders raised any complaints about performance aspects of the new product. - Does not weaken the conclusion as it is not about complaints, it is about interest.
(D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them. - This statement gels perfectly with the premise and weakens the conclusion
(E) In a shrinking market, competition always intensifies and marginal businesses fail. - This only talks about marginal businesses but in the argument we do not know whether video business is marginal or not.

Hope this helps...

by krisraam » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:22 am
My bad. It is D. My previous post was a typo.

Thanks
Raama

by kris77 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:07 pm
The official answer is D. But I don't understand why? Can anyone explain