Veritas SC - Please help

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Veritas SC - Please help

by whats_in_the_store » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:06 am
The Department of Agriculture slowly succeeded in convincing farmers to try approaches other than the single-crop farming that they had used for many years.

A) convincing farmers to try approaches other than the single-crop farming that they had used

B) convincing farmers to try approaches other than the single-crop farming that they used

C) their attempt to convince farmers to try approaches other than the single-crop farming that they had used

D) their attempt to convince farmers to try approaches other than the single-crop farming that they used

E) convincing farmers to try approaches other than the single-crop farming that has been in use
solution
[spoiler]Correct answer: (E)

The key to this problem is understanding that though the farmers are trying new approaches, they haven't fully abandoned the old technique of single-crop farming. Therefore, single-crop farming is still partly in use, and the final verb of the underlined portion must reflect that presentness. Choices (B), (C), and (D) use incorrect verb forms that suggest the single-crop farming takes place exclusively in the past. Also, (C) and (D) use the plural pronoun "their" to refer to the singular "Department of Agriculture." The correct choice, (E), uses the passive voice, but in doing so it also avoids the potential problem of the semi-vague pronoun "they," which technically must only refer to "farmers" but seems like it could also refer to the Department of Agriculture. The passive voice is appropriate in this context.[/spoiler]

What's wrong with the original statement?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:29 am
Option A is giving the idea that farmers used the single crop farming technique in past but they are not using now(Past perfect tense). Although, IMO, the intended idea is that farmers are still using single crop farming and DoA was trying to convince them to opt for different approaches.

I've one doubt over here.
" succeeded in convincing ", I think this sentence means that DoA is accomplished in their motive,however, they have achieved it at slow rate.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.