Verbal Study Plan

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Verbal Study Plan

by Shalini Suresh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:34 pm
Hi !
I have devoted a entire week for verbal Preparation. I have the Manhattan SC, RC and CR books and the power score CR bible. Can some one please suggest how to divide the 7 days between the 3 verbal topics. I find RC and SC the toughest and fare slightly better on CR .

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks !!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:40 pm
Seven days is quite a short time to master all the subjects from the Verbal section. My suggestion is to work a bit on each of the main parts of the verbal and not to concentrate on just one of them on a given day. This way you will be less tired and fed up with only one type of questions.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:35 am
Agreed, 7 days is not a lot of time. The human brain can really only learn about 2 hours worth of material at a time before neurons are overloaded. If you're planning on doing 8-hr cramming sessions each day, you won't retain most of what you learned. For every 2 hours of work, you should take at least 1-2 hrs break.

Instead, start by taking a practice test (if you haven't already done so). Identify 7 topics that were weak for you, that you could reinforce in 2-3 hours apiece. (So, not CR as a whole, but assumption questions within CR). Focus on improving just a few weak areas, because if you try to improve everything, you'll spread yourself too thin.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education