Verbal Strat-What did you high scorers specifically study?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hey guys,

Hoping for some help here. I'm basically at a loss as to how to approach my Verbal studying. (I'm a native English speaker and keep getting V 28).

Here's what I do so far in terms of Verbal study:

SC:
- Read up and took notes on common errors and have tried to memorize them
- I make it a point to actively identify the different types of errors that exist in the sentence
- Use process of elimination to identify answer

CR: My weak point
- I read the question and try to answer it
- Should I be studying the theory behind necessary and sufficient conditions and other logical equations?

RC:
- I read science articles at least a few times per week and do RC passages

I feel like I don't have much of a verbal strategy.... How do the high scorers score high in Verbal? I've seen many people's debriefs but want to know what you did specifically?

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:630

by odannyboi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:09 pm
I'm not really a high scorer on V (most I got was a V39 on a kaplan) but i started at V22!

Pick up the sentence correction guide from Manhattan... it did wonders for me (read it for about 5 hours over 4 days). Unfortunately CR and RC is hard to improve.. you just gotta be able to skim the reading portion of RC and get a majority of the content the 1st time through (dont read and try to understand every detail the 1st time... you will end up going back anyways for each Q).

For RC... you just have to think. Do not go to the question stem... read the passage 1st. I don't know what equations you are talking about. You can try the Powerscore CR bible since most people suggest it.. I read it for a couple of hours but it seemed like stuff i already knew.

It would be helpful for non native speakers to chime in. I basically wing the verbal section (except SC). I think SC is the only real learn able section.