Verbal RC practice

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

Verbal RC practice

by confuse mind » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:18 am
I know there are no set rules for RC, but nowadays I am getting 2 out of 4 questions wrong on GMAT RCs :( :(

Can someone please suggest me some practice material for RC.

Would you recommend getting the LSAT RC bible?
Thanks guys!!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:49 pm
That is a good set of material to go through...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by yourshail123 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:58 am
Hi Jim,
I am also having same trouble with the Verbal section specifically CR and RC.
As far as CR is concerned I am able to cover up with certain rules and guidelines. However, for RC I am having pretty tough time.
For RC, I followed the strategy mentioned in Kaplan; going through the Subject-Verbs - getting the gist of the passage, noting down the purpose of each paragraph and then overall topic, scope and purpose of the passage. It worked very well with the passages in the Kaplan Premier Book with almost 70-75% accuracy, which I thought would improve as I practice. When I followed the same strategy while practicing the OG13 ques, I was back to square one, same scoring rate almost (for the first 60 ques in OG13 - 53%). I do get the purpose of the passage correctly, but seriously do not understand where I am lagging.
Can you please help to guide or suggest anything. My overall concern for GMAT exam are these 2 sections, which will make or break my result.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:12 am
i received a private message regarding this thread.

it's not possible to give any sort of general/summary advice for reading comprehension in a single forum post. however, i have done a few videos on reading comprehension at this link:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm
you can find them by searching the page for "rc" or "reading comprehension", or by just scrolling down the page and reading through the list of topics.

i will, however, remark that any sort of overly systematic approach isn't going to work. there's no getting around the "comprehension" part of reading comprehension -- you have to understand the material that you read, and at least part of that understanding must be intuitive.
fortunately, that intuition should be natural; it should characterize the way that you already read just about anything outside of a classroom. the trouble starts when you think you have to read "academic" material like a computer rather than like a human being.

for instance, thinking about grammar should be the last thing you'd ever want to do while reading a passage! in all likelihood, the density and remoteness of the material already makes it a challenge; you're going to need your full attention to actually comprehend the content in any meaningful sense.
so, i can't see much good coming from advice such as "find the subjects and verbs". under that advice, either (a) you'll be distracted by thoughts of grammar and unable to concentrate sufficiently on what the passage actually says, or, in the very best scenario, (b) the advice will just be irrelevant -- after all, it's hardly possible to read the normal sentence without noticing its subject or main action!
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by vbalhara » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:32 am
I have read in certain forums that GMAT people put question after testing. Lets say a question is correctly answered by only 20% of students attempting the questing.

I am sure, its very difficult to answer that question correctly by NOT UNDERSTANDING the passage appropriately.

My strategy is like this:

A) Go little slow for the first para to get the TOPIC
B) Your objective shall be to find the ARGUMENT OF THE AUTHOR (LIKE a detective)
C) Like on the test day, Your mind has limited capacity to process the data. Put down the gist of the each para which is related the ARGUMENT as P-1, P-2 and P-N. At the P(N), you should think back How did the author build his argument.
D) You may set some goalpost to find "Detail questions"

I usually take 2.5 to 4.5 minutes depending on the topic (ladies movement, hip-hop movement, Now i know more about Feminist struggle and Hippocrates than about Indian history :) )

SET MAX 1 min to answer questions

Now the questions:
Type 1- Author argument, author will agree and passage objective. You shall be able to answer after eliminating the wrong choices (Make sure without going back to para)

Type 2 - Detail -- If you are not able to remember where did you encounter "Big black beer" with help of your goal post. LEAVE THE QUESTION (want to give a try then look on the passage)

Type 3 Inference / OR the Reason why did he include some detail -- a)Dont go to the exact address told by GMAT, Start searching around and see the logic. Inference --> Kick out of scope inferences, i don't want to fight for equal right of black in the feminist para, generalization and at last apply (-) test, if your answer negate, would it be in conflict with author ARGUMENT.

TYPE -4 Strengthen / weaken CR question in RC. Pls use 50% of your CR skills or God save you !

Remember CR is a mini RC :)