Using technology as new as space-age fabrics

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
Using technology as new as space-age fabrics and as ordinary as common dry-cleaning chemicals, scientists and historians, in their attempt at cleaning and preserving the American flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore in 1814, are hoping that it will then last another 200 years.

(A) and as ordinary as common dry-cleaning chemicals, scientists and historians, in their attempt at cleaning and preserving the American flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore in 1814, are hoping

(B) and as ordinary as common dry-cleaning chemicals, scientists and historians are attempting to clean and preserve the American flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore in 1814, hoping

(C) and as ordinary as common dry-cleaning chemicals, an attempt by scientists and historians to clean and preserve the American flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore in 1814 is being made in the hope

(D) but also as ordinary as common dry-cleaning chemicals, scientists and historians who are attempting to clean and preserve the American flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore in 1814, hoping

(E) but also as ordinary as common dry-cleaning chemicals, an attempt by scientists and historians at cleaning and preserving the American flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore in 1814 in hopes

[spoiler]OA: Why is exactly A wrong???? Isn't attempt at the right idiom????[/spoiler]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Buix0065 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:16 pm
My answer is B

A. Passive voice
B. not passive like A, so I prefer it over A
C. Changes the meaning slightly with "is being made" implies that they are reporting something currently happening
D/E 'but also' doesn't work with "as new as..."

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:58 pm
My Ans is B.

C/ D/ E is wrong as using should refer to Scientists and Historians.

Now we are left out with 2 options A and B

Scientists & historians in their attempt .... are hoping --> A
Scientists & historians are attempting to clean ... hoping -->

Option B is more clear and option A says "intheir attempt.. hoping" which is confusing

(A) and as ordinary as common dry-cleaning chemicals, scientists and historians, in their attempt at cleaning and preserving the American flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore in 1814, are hoping
(B) and as ordinary as common dry-cleaning chemicals, scientists and historians are attempting to clean and preserve the American flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore in 1814, hoping
This time no looking back!!!
Navami

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:01 pm
aspirant2011 wrote:Using technology as new as space-age fabrics and as ordinary as common dry-cleaning chemicals, scientists and historians, in their attempt at cleaning and preserving the American flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore in 1814, are hoping that it will then last another 200 years.

(C) and as ordinary as common dry-cleaning chemicals, an attempt by scientists and historians to clean and preserve the American flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore in 1814 is being made in the hope

(D) but also as ordinary as common dry-cleaning chemicals, scientists and historians who are attempting to clean and preserve the American flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore in 1814, hoping

(E) but also as ordinary as common dry-cleaning chemicals, an attempt by scientists and historians at cleaning and preserving the American flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore in 1814 in hopes

[spoiler]OA: Why is exactly A wrong???? Isn't attempt at the right idiom????[/spoiler]
In C and E, using technology incorrectly modifies an attempt. An attempt cannot be using technology; scientists and historians are using technology. Eliminate C and E.

In D, the subject scientists and historians lacks a verb. The result is a sentence fragment. Eliminate D.

In A, the antecedent of it is not crystal clear: it could refer either to their attempt or to the American flag. Also, attempt at creating is not idiomatic. The correct idiom is attempt + to + verb. Eliminate A.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:58 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
aspirant2011 wrote:Using technology as new as space-age fabrics and as ordinary as common dry-cleaning chemicals, scientists and historians, in their attempt at cleaning and preserving the American flag that flew over Fort McHenry in Baltimore in 1814, are hoping that it will then last another 200 years.

In A, the antecedent of it is not crystal clear: it could refer either to their attempt or to the American flag.
Hi Mitch ,

Thanks a lot for your response. Request you to clarify on the above line that it can refer to their attempt.Wat I was aware about pronoun it was that it can refer to only nouns (except names).Plz correct if I am wrong.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:30 pm
aspirant2011 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

In A, the antecedent of it is not crystal clear: it could refer either to their attempt or to the American flag.
Hi Mitch ,

Thanks a lot for your response. Request you to clarify on the above line that it can refer to their attempt.Wat I was aware about pronoun it was that it can refer to only nouns (except names).Plz correct if I am wrong.
In A, attempt is a noun. In their attempt = preposition + adjective + noun.

Most readers of A will be able to figure out that it is supposed to refer to the flag. But since B avoids this sort of pronoun murkiness, we should eliminate A and choose B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by brandy96 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:59 am
Can we eliminate D and E based on 'But also' ?

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:46 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Most readers of A will be able to figure out that it is supposed to refer to the flag. But since B avoids this sort of pronoun murkiness, we should eliminate A and choose B.
Hi Mitch,

I am really sorry to bug u again & again but I didn't get your above statement i.e how pronoun murkiness is there in A but not in B :-(

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:06 am
aspirant2011 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Hi Mitch,

I am really sorry to bug u again & again but I didn't get your above statement i.e how pronoun murkiness is there in A but not in B :-(
In A, it is preceded by two nouns: their attempt and the flag.

In B, the only viable antecedent for it is the flag; are attempting is a verb, so it cannot refer to are attempting.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gmat25 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:09 am
Hi Mitch,

I understand the issue related to pronoun ambiguity that u mentioned in Op A. Certainly, we have two NOUNS over there...1st one is ATTEMPT and 2nd one is FLAG. However, i have one question here:

Question:-- As discussed with most of the American Experts, Pronoun ambiguity only occur when there are TWO OR MORE LOGICALLY POSSIBLE ANTECEDENTS are present.

For ex:- John told his friend that he had won the election. (MADE UP)

here, JOHN and FRIEND both can be the logically possible antecedents and hence pronoun HE is ambiguous. However in the given question, if i apply the same principle, in Op A...ATTEMPT and FLAG both can be the LOGICALLY POSSIBLE ANTECEDENT OF PRONOUN IT????

Though, I picked Op B as my answer because of the correct idiom..."Attempt to"

by gmat25 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:12 am
aspirant2011 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Hi Mitch,

Their CAR = CAR ----> Their is POSSESSIVE, consider this as an adjective

More examples:

HER CAR = CAR
Ravi's House = HOUSE

in the same way if u look at OP A, ATTEMPT is a NOUN while in OP B, the question maker changed the NOUN "ATTEMPT" to a VERB "ARE ATTEMPTING"....only one noun is there in OP B if u notice.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:02 am
gmat25 wrote:Hi Mitch,

I understand the issue related to pronoun ambiguity that u mentioned in Op A. Certainly, we have two NOUNS over there...1st one is ATTEMPT and 2nd one is FLAG. However, i have one question here:

Question:-- As discussed with most of the American Experts, Pronoun ambiguity only occur when there are TWO OR MORE LOGICALLY POSSIBLE ANTECEDENTS are present.

For ex:- John told his friend that he had won the election. (MADE UP)

here, JOHN and FRIEND both can be the logically possible antecedents and hence pronoun HE is ambiguous. However in the given question, if i apply the same principle, in Op A...ATTEMPT and FLAG both can be the LOGICALLY POSSIBLE ANTECEDENT OF PRONOUN IT????

Though, I picked Op B as my answer because of the correct idiom..."Attempt to"
Part of the problem in A is that the antecedent for it is contained not within the main body of the sentence but within a modifying phrase. The other issue is the lack of logic if we assume that it refers to the flag: scientists and historians, in their attempt, are hoping that the flag will then last another 200 years. It makes no sense to say that the flag will then last another 200 hundred years...in their attempt.

In B, the situation is crystal clear:

...scientists are attempting to clean and preserve the flag, hoping that it will then...

Thus, B is the better answer choice.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by aflaam » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:59 pm
Is A also incorrect because at cleaning and preserving conveys the meaning as if scientists and historians themselves are doing cleaning and preserving ?

by aflaam » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:48 am
can someone help me understand the mentioned issue in A?
Best

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant

by KarenVH » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:16 pm
aflaam wrote:Is A also incorrect because at cleaning and preserving conveys the meaning as if scientists and historians themselves are doing cleaning and preserving ?
I don't quite see that reading -- perhaps I don't understand what you're getting at -- but "in their attempt at cleaning and preserving" is to be avoided for at least a couple of reasons. First, "attempt at doing" is incorrect -- it should be "attempt to do". In addition, the correct answer (B) makes it clear that the scientists are attempting to clean and preserve the flag and while they are doing so, are hoping for a certain outcome. (A) sounds as if they're hoping "in their attempt" -- as if the attempt were a location or sort of abstract container for the activity of hoping.

Does that help?

Karen

_____

If you find my posts helpful, please click the "thank" icon at the top of the page and/or follow me!

Karen is the Head Verbal Tutor for Test Prep New York/Test Prep San Francisco. TPSF/TPNY is the only test prep co. that fuses content mastery and test-taking strategy with positive mindset. Tests, after all, don't measure only what you know or how well you know it; tests also measure how well you take tests.

Test Prep New York/Test Prep San Francisco
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
testprepny.com