Using Short Term Goals to shortlist schools - Help needed

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Dear Experts/Mentors/Friends,

I'm Rohan Sharma from India.
I recently took the GMAT test and scored a 710 (Q:49 V:38)and a 5.5 on the AWA section.
As a natural flow to score an admission in the US-top 15 schools's fall 2013 session I started with the shortlisting of business schools.However,I've been struggling ever since I started the process since all the schools are good and have equally well weighted advantages [I hope I'm not too obtuse here]. To make the process easier I decided to use the vision of my short term goals and shortlist schools to apply to. Below is a excerpt from my profile information that I've prepared:

Work Experience : 6.5 years in IT [5.5 years in Infosys and 1 year in IBM].
Domain : CME : Communications and Media entertainment.
Overseas Experience : 2 years in Europe [Onsite assignment].
Short Term goal post MBA : Management Consulting opportunities for the CME sector.

It will help me immensely to proceed with my application process if you will put your feedback concerning the schools that will be best fit and I can match the schools expectations.
Also ,an alternative approach to shortlist schools be very valuable to me.

Thank you for taking your time out.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by ThinkAdmit » Sat May 26, 2012 10:47 am
rohansharmaster wrote:Dear Experts/Mentors/Friends,

I recently took the GMAT test and scored a 710 (Q:49 V:38)and a 5.5 on the AWA section.
As a natural flow to score an admission in the US-top 15 schools's fall 2013 session I started with the shortlisting of business schools.However,I've been struggling ever since I started the process since all the schools are good and have equally well weighted advantages [I hope I'm not too obtuse here]. To make the process easier I decided to use the vision of my short term goals and shortlist schools to apply to. Below is a excerpt from my profile information that I've prepared:

Short Term goal post MBA : Management Consulting opportunities for the CME sector.

It will help me immensely to proceed with my application process if you will put your feedback concerning the schools that will be best fit and I can match the schools expectations.

Cheers,
Rohan.
Hi rohansharmaster,

Your approach is fine. Actually this is one very important criteria to shortlist B-schools. Once you have the list of schools ready that meet your goals criteria, you can do further shortlisting based on budget, location, class size, reach, etc.

If you are really inclined towards Media and Entertainment sector, you have to show relevant experience and interest apart from software for the CME sector. Of course, you have an edge as you have domain experience. But what else? In addition, also have a plan B and include schools based on that too. UCLA is pretty well known for Entertainment industry recruitments. In addition, Stanford has pretty strong placements in consulting in the west coast.

I would like to know more about your profile apart from GMAT score and work experience.
Nitin, ThinkAdmit

EMAIL: [email protected]
PHONE: +91 7838998299

Our GMAT Partner: https://www.edvento.com

Read our blog: https://www.thinkadmit.com/blog
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/thinkadmit
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thinkadmit

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by AVbyT » Sat May 26, 2012 9:18 pm
rohansharmaster wrote:Dear Experts/Mentors/Friends,

Cheers,
Rohan.
Hey rohansharmaster - Your dilemma is like most MBA hopefuls so worry not. For post career of Management consulting, I'd strongly consider INSEAD, Columbia, Stanford and Cornell. I think INSEAD is one of the top schools for creating the Consulting Mindset and that also reflects in their Career stats, but it's not the school for you if you don't have any International exposure - personally or professionally.

Along with the Short term goal, I would also strongly consider your choice of residence post-MBA and the strength of the network in that part of the world.

Hope that helps....
My Road to MBA (to INSEAD Hopefully) - https://mbahopeful.wordpress.com/