This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:740

Use of 'that' for subordinate clause

by Gaurav Mittal » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:52 am
Hi

Please refer to question below from OG:

Excavators at the Indus Valley site of Harappa in eastern Pakistan say the discovery of inscribed shards dating to circa 2800 - 2600 B.C. indicate their development of a Harappan writing system, the use of inscribed seals impressed into clay for marking ownership, and the standardization of weights for trade or taxation occured many decades, if not centuries, earlier than was previously believed.

a) indicate their development of a Harappan writing system, the use of
b) indicate that the development of a Harappan writing system, using
c) indicates that their delevelopment of a Harappan writing system, using
d) indicates the development of a Harappan writing system, their use of
e) indicates that the development of a Harappan writing system, the use of

Going by Agreement and Parallelism, I can figure out that the answer is E (correct one). However, the solution in OG also mentions that the word 'indicates' must be followed by 'that' since it introduces a subordinate clause. My question is, is this always the case or is it due to usage of 'indicates'? In fact, going by this logic, in the question itself, there should be a 'that' after 'Harappa in eastern Pakistan say' since say also introduces a subordinate clause here.

In my little time practicing SC, I can already see this as a major source of errors. Please clarify.

Thanks
Gaurav

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:59 pm
This is a tricky issue, because modern spoken English does not always follow this rule. Consider:

I know that you are studying diligently.
vs.
I know you are studying diligently.

In the first example, THAT makes "you are studying" a dependent (subordinate) clause, functioning as the object of the sentence. The second example is quite common in spoken English - we drop the "THAT", and it's assumed that it's implied. This usage is becoming so common that many style guides allow it, as long as there is no meaning difference.

The GMAT will usually use the "THAT," though, in this context, especially when there is an implied meaning difference. The verb INDICATE, like many other verbs, can take as its object a noun or a clause, but there is an implied meaning difference:

She indicated the shoes she wanted to buy. --> INDICATE + NOUN = pointing out

The latest data indicate that we made an error in our original hypothesis. --> INDICATE + CLAUSE = making clear an idea / action

In your example, because the verb OCCURRED appears outside of the underlined portion, we know that what was indicated was an IDEA (thus a clause) and not a noun. Therefore, we should use THAT.

However... you bring up an excellent point. Earlier in the sentence it reads
"Excavators... in Eastern Pakistan say the discovery... indicates..."
rather than
"Excavators... in Eastern Pakistan say THAT the discovery... indicates..."

The latter version would have been more consistent! Alas, the GMAT is not always consistent in its grammar rules. My best guess is that there is no implied meaning difference between SAY + NOUN and SAY + CLAUSE.

If you're wondering whether the GMAT is testing you on the usage of THAT, scan the answer choices. If some have THAT and some do not, they're probably testing this rule.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education