Usage of Like Vs Such As.

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

Usage of Like Vs Such As.

by rakeshd347 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:27 am
Hi Experts,

I am in big dilemma here. Ever since I have started preparing for gmat and done so much practise, everyone has told me that GMAT doesn't like the usage of "like" for example and "such as" should be used instead. Now Going through the veritas prep question banks and books I have come across 2 questions so far in which they have preferred the usage of "like" vs "such as". This is a confusing situation for me. Can someone explain me this.

I am posting a question here lets have some discussion on this and I will post the answer later.

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the "80-20 rule" required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

A) Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the "80-20 rule" required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

B) Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the "80-20 rule" requiring that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

C) Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the "80-20 rule" required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

D) Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the "80-20 rule" required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

E) Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the "80-20 rule" required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and to have no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Please provide some light OA is coming soon.
Last edited by rakeshd347 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Followed by:6 members

by vishugogo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:31 pm
Is the OA E

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:10 pm
Hi rakeshd347,

For these SC answer choices, there are 3 rules that stand out (to me):

1) The style rule for "such as" vs. "like"
2) The command verb "require"
3) Verb tense

Stylistically, "such as" is preferable to "like" (I'll explain why in a moment). Command verbs have a particular style: command verb, then the word "that", then the infinitive of the next verb in line. Since we're dealing with 2010, our verb needs to be a past-tense verb.

Final Answer:D

The phrase "such as" is the best way to represent an example. The word "like", when it is used, is usually the first word in the sentence and leads to a direct comparison of 2 or more things.

eg. I'm in the mood for a comedic film such as Caddyshack.
eg. Like Caddyshack, Animal House and Ghostbusters are considered comedies.

All of these idiom and style rules are included in the EMPOWERgmat course.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Last edited by [email protected] on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Followed by:4 members

by rakeshd347 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:48 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi rakeshd347,

For these SC answer choices, there are 3 rules that stand out (to me):

1) The style rule for "such as" vs. "like"
2) The command verb "require"
3) Verb tense

Stylistically, "such as" is preferable to "like" (I'll explain why in a moment). Command verbs have a particular style: command verb, then the word "that", then the infinitive of the next verb in line. Since we're dealing with 2010, our verb needs to be a past-tense verb.

Final Answer:E

The phrase "such as" is the best way to represent an example. The word "like", when it is used, is usually the first word in the sentence and leads to a direct comparison of 2 or more things.

eg. I'm in the mood for a comedic film such as Caddyshack.
eg. Like Caddyshack, Animal House and Ghostbusters are considered comedies.

All of these idiom and style rules are included in the EMPOWERgmat course.

Rich
Even though I totally agree with you on this answer and I chose this option for the reason you gave here. But the OA answer is A and the source is veritas prep. They have even given explanation for this question.

Thanks for the reply.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:34 am
Hi rakeshd347,

After nit-picking the answers a bit more, I can point out a grammar problem with D that I didn't catch earlier (and the same problem appears in B, C and E):

The two-part phrase: "receive at least 80 percent....and HAVE no more than 20 percent" isn't written in parallel style.

So, I will freely admit that my first choice has a problem. I still don't agree with the usage that is in Answer A; however, I have to concede that if an obvious error occurs in 4 of the answers, then the remaining answer, whatever the style, would be considered correct.

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]