Unusual Profile for Insead - seeking advice

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Unusual Profile for Insead - seeking advice

by intlhntr » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:04 pm
Thanks in advance for any advice given.

I'm looking to apply to INSEAD through a dual-degree program with John Hopkin's School of Advanced International Studies for an MA/MBA. Technically by the time I would be starting at INSEAD I would be 30 years old as I'm shooting to be admitted to SAIS for the Fall of 2014. From there it's 1.5 years at SAIS followed by the full curriculum at INSEAD.

This is a bit of a dream combo for me, so I really want to make it happen. I think in some ways I have a very unique profile but I wanted to confirm that INSEAD would give me the light of day.

GMAT: 660 (Q43/V38) - Going to take again to try to break 700 mark

Work Experience:
1+ year at Al Jazeera English as a News and Documentary Producer
1+ year in International Development firm as a project manager and proposal developer. Project was based in Iraq building infrastructure. $150 million project, US-government funded, private contractor.
2+ years at high-level Presidential campaign politics, traveled with Obama, 2008 and 2012
1.5+ years consulting on various international finance and development projects, as well as business consultant for a small but very profitable private medical practice.

Jumped around jobs trying to find my niche and I think that I've found it in a union of international relations and international business. I'm not as interested in American Politics as I once was. I'd like to spend some time in strategy consulting and move to international finance and private equity in the developing world.

I've lived in DC the entire time but have spent time travelling to the Middle East for self-developed projects. I also have lived in Buenos Aires (for study). I have strong experience in international companies, but have not lived abroad for work specifically.

College: Top Tier Liberal Arts
Major: Political Science/Public Policy
GPA: 3.16(Overall)/3.33 (Major)
Languages: Spanish,
Extra-Curriculars: Started Student group that won student org of the year 2 years in a row, helped establish new major and increased enrollment in language class by 300%. Established ongoing scholarship exchange program with a quaker school in developing country that provides 90% scholarship to a qualified student (totalling $300,000 currently)
Background: Arab-American, spent alot of time travelling all my life, been around the world

So my question: Do I stand a chance? Even if I bring up my GMAT? or especially if I bring up my GMAT? I'll apply irregardless and if not INSEAD I'll shoot for IE and then Oxford, on down the list.

Thanks all

by insoo11 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:56 pm
For you to be sure that this doesn't come for anywhere: I'm an INSEAD MBA alumni, 2011.

Your profile is in fact quite awesome. It's diverse, it proves your entrepreneurship, it's strongly international and it has some fantastic spikes (Obama!). Truly this would even be the kind a profile where a 660 in GMAT could still be ok (but you don't lose anything in trying to get this better at least once. Don't try a third time,though ,it would be useless). I would though recommend you to strengthen 2 elements: 1. Make sure your storyline about what your project in the future makes sense. Given your diverse background, it may appear that you want to do everything (strategy consulting then finance...) and your ideas are not exactly clear. What is your ultimate goal? Why would strategy consulting be a necessary intermediary step? 2. Language : how good are you in Spanish? What would be the 3rd language you would like to study and why? Besides this, I can tell : you're more than all fine.

by SGanguly » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:38 am
Hi intlhntr,

I second insoo11's advice! You do have a surely "stand-out" profile with many highlights. My only concern is you should not come across as 'confused'. So, while you try for a better GMAT (and make sure it is really better if you do attempt it again!), work hard on your documentation. Think clearly about how you can connect your experiences with each other and think deeply and specifically about your goals. While it is not bad to explore, there should be some amount of focus in your pursuits - past, present, and future. I am sure you will be able to find a common thread that binds them all together. Since international experience is important for INSEAD, bring in the element strongly in your future objectives. Present your achievements convincingly, convey your characteristics through apt stories, and display a global outlook in your thoughts, actions, and perspectives. Most importantly, state goals that are achievable, logically consistent, and show maturity and understanding of your strengths, interests and the usefulness of the MBA.

I am sure you would have looked through the program and university website before shortlisting the university. So, understand what they are looking for in an ideal applicant and pick relevant themes from your experiences that match these expectations. You will stand a good chance!

All the best!
Sinchita Ganguly
Admissions Advisor
Manya - The Princeton Review

by intlhntr » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:37 am
thanks to both of you for the encouraging responses! I feel confident that I'd be able to craft a good story because there is genuine conviction in my careers shifts and moves and there is a general trajectory just not what's considered a traditional one. I will definitely take your advice into account and start crafting that story. much appreciated!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:42 am
Hello INSEAD hopeful!

You definitely have a chance at INSEAD. I'm a joint MBA/MPA from Harvard, and have sent several clients (and one of my interns!) to INSEAD in recent years, and they're loving life.

Your GMAT is not going to be a huge problem. Your GPA is on the low side but not an application killer. You're just going to want to emphasize as much as possible your ability to handle the rigor of the SAIS/INSEAD classroom. Another thing you're going to want to do on your resume is quantify your achievements as much as possible which it already seems you are doing well. Any time you have the opportunity to use an optional essay, you are definitely going to want to use it to assuage the AdCom's doubts about your commitment to not just doing great things out in the world but doing well in the classroom as well.

I also echo the advice to not take the GMAT again as it is now time to buckle down and get some stellar essays written, since it sounds like you plan to apply to multiple schools and degree programs.

You're going to want to address your job-hopping in a confident way that shows your constant search for growth, new experiences, and the opportunities to use your strengths and develop in ways that compensate for your weaknesses.

In your post, you did not mention applying to HKS. I know they don't have an official program with INSEAD, but I think you should still apply for the MPP and then try to negotiate to make it work. You have the profile of a fellowship awardee, and I would love to help you get one!

I hope you found this helpful and you sound like someone that I would really enjoy working with!

Warm regards,
Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.