Unlike- Native American women

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Unlike- Native American women

by kanha81 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:36 pm
I tried searching for the following question in the forum; however, I was not able to find one.

Unlike the low status accorded the craftwork of many women settlers in the nineteenth-century American West, Native American women of the Plains tribes often received public recognition, wealth, and prestige for their craftwork.

(A) Unlike the low status accorded the craftwork of many women settlers in the nineteenth-century American West, Native American women of the Plains tribes

(B) Unlike many women settlers in the nineteenth-century American West, whose craftwork was accorded low status, Native American women of the Plains tribes

(C) Native American women of the Plains tribes, unlike the craftwork of many women settlers in the nineteenth-century American West,

(D) The craftwork of many women settlers in the nineteenth-century American West was accorded low status, while that of the Native American women of the Plains tribes

(E) While low status was accorded the craftwork of many women settlers in the nineteenth-century American West, that of Native American women of the Plains tribes

I was torn between [spoiler][/spoiler] and [spoiler][D][/spoiler]

Any suggestions, pointers?
Want to Beat GMAT.
Always do what you're afraid to do. Whoooop GMAT

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re: Unlike- Native American women

by rahul26 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:49 pm
B should be the ans. Here women is being correctly compared with women.
The problem with D is usage of both 'While' and 'Often received' introduces redundancy.
kanha81 wrote:I tried searching for the following question in the forum; however, I was not able to find one.

Unlike the low status accorded the craftwork of many women settlers in the nineteenth-century American West, Native American women of the Plains tribes often received public recognition, wealth, and prestige for their craftwork.

(A) Unlike the low status accorded the craftwork of many women settlers in the nineteenth-century American West, Native American women of the Plains tribes

(B) Unlike many women settlers in the nineteenth-century American West, whose craftwork was accorded low status, Native American women of the Plains tribes

(C) Native American women of the Plains tribes, unlike the craftwork of many women settlers in the nineteenth-century American West,

(D) The craftwork of many women settlers in the nineteenth-century American West was accorded low status, while that of the Native American women of the Plains tribes

(E) While low status was accorded the craftwork of many women settlers in the nineteenth-century American West, that of Native American women of the Plains tribes

I was torn between [spoiler][/spoiler] and [spoiler][D][/spoiler]

Any suggestions, pointers?

Followed by:1 members

by karmayogi » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:33 pm
In D, “that” is referring to “the craftwork.” Let’s substitute “that” with “the craftwork” and see whether the sentence still makes sense.

The craftwork of many women settlers in the nineteenth-century American West was accorded low status, while the craftwork of the Native American women of the Plains tribes often received public recognition, wealth, and prestige for their craftwork.

Can u see the issue?

IMO B
Each soul is potentially divine. The goal is to manifest this divine within.
--By Swami Vivekananda

GMAT Score:680

by 4seasoncentre » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:40 pm
Another vote for B. I hope it's the official answer!