TV Writer Union

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

TV Writer Union

by showbu » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:33 pm
Everybody agrees that a decline in the quality of television programming invariably results in a decrease in television viewership. Members of the Television Writer Union are threatening to go on strike this season to meet certain demands. Clearly, the movie studios whose movies are shown in the theaters should hope that the television writers will indeed decide to go on strike.

Each of the following must be assumed to be true in order for the conclusion above to be properly drawn EXCEPT

a. television writers arenot the same writers who writer screenplayes for movie shown in theaters

b an increase in movie attendance will result in increased profits for movie theaters

c. a television writers' strike would result in a decline in the quality to television programming

d movie studio profits are directly correlated to the profits of the movie theaters themselves

e. when people watch less telecisioin their movie theater attendance increases

oa: a
Last edited by showbu on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

Re: TV Writer Union

by logitech » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:00 pm
showbu wrote:Everybody agrees that a decline in the quality of television programming invariably results in a decrease in television viewership. Members of the Television Writer Union are threatening to go on strike this season to meet certain demands. Clearly, the movie studios whose movies are shown in the theaters should hope that the television writers will indeed decide to go on strike.

Quality --> Viewership
Strike --> Meet Demands
Conc:

STRIKE in TV writer -- > MOVIE STUDIES loves it! :)

Each of the following weakens the argument EXCEPT

a. television writers ARE the same writers who writer screenplayes for movie shown in theaters

STRENGTHS , so they will have writers who meet demands

b an increase in movie attendance will NOT result in increased profits for mivie theaters

WEAKEN

c. a television writers' strike would NOT result in a decline in the quality to television programming

so it might increase it...I am not sure whether it strengthens or not

d movie studio profits are NOT directly correlated to the profits of the movie theaters themselves

WEAKEN

e. when people watch less telecisioin their movie theater attendance DOES NOT NECESSARILY increase

Irrelevant ?

I need help here to analyze the rest of the options.
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Followed by:1 members

by Bidisha800 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:39 pm
my GUESS is (A).
Drill baby drill !

GMATPowerPrep Test1= 740
GMATPowerPrep Test2= 760
Kaplan Diagnostic Test= 700
Kaplan Test1=600
Kalplan Test2=670
Kalplan Test3=570

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gg1 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:51 am
A should not be the answer bcoz if a is not assumed and television writers and screenplay writers for movie theater are same then their strike wud affect the movie theaters also which is undesirable for movie studios.

wat is the OA

by GMATPR » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:05 am
IMO D

by hrishikesh05 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:05 am
Are u sure about the OA being A....D seems like the right answer to me

Legendary Member

Re: TV Writer Union

by nervesofsteel » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:34 am
showbu wrote:Everybody agrees that a decline in the quality of television programming invariably results in a decrease in television viewership. Members of the Television Writer Union are threatening to go on strike this season to meet certain demands. Clearly, the movie studios whose movies are shown in the theaters should hope that the television writers will indeed decide to go on strike.

Each of the following must be assumed to be true in order for the conclusion above to be properly drawn EXCEPT

a. television writers arenot the same writers who writer screenplayes for movie shown in theaters

b an increase in movie attendance will result in increased profits for movie theaters

c. a television writers' strike would result in a decline in the quality to television programming

d movie studio profits are directly correlated to the profits of the movie theaters themselves

e. when people watch less telecisioin their movie theater attendance increases

IMO D

I was evaluating C and D

c. a television writers' strike would result in a decline in the quality to television programming <- If this is assumed then there is a chance that movie goers will increase...

d movie studio profits are directly correlated to the profits of the movie theaters themselves <- who so ever gets the profit doesn't matter...

by leswm » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:15 pm
I'm thinking B

a) if the TV writers are the movie writers, then we have a problem b/c they won't be creating movies either.
c) according to premise, if the programming declines then viewership declines. So you better hope that the strike will affect programming. Otherwise, if TV stations buy good shows from europe, then strike will be ineffective.
d) this motivated me to pick B as answer b/c there has to be a correlation of theatre profits to the studio profits.
e) goes without saying. You better hope that people are diverting their TV watching to movies, otherwise if they decide to do something else with their time, argument is thrashed.

After writing this, I'm not sure about my answer anymore. My reasoning for D is shaky.

by samanthaJ79 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:49 am
A looks good. i guess i'm right