tuf sc

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member

tuf sc

by vivek.kapoor83 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:17 am
The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably on a spectrum of genetic relatedness.

A. The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably
B. That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably
C. With some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar, it highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely considerable variation
D. With some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar, it is a fact that highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely a considerable variation
E. Because some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly and others look quite dissimilar, this fact highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by scoobydooby » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:26 am
IMO option B

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:580

by codesnooker » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:37 am
IMO (B).

A. The fact of some wordy and awkward construction.
C. it highlights IT has no antecedent.
D. it is a fact Again IT has no antecedent and wordy and awkward construction.
E. Because... Sentence starting with conjunction which is not allowed in GMAT.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by kiran.raze » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:58 am
Another vote for B !

Legendary Member

by stop@800 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:48 am
I am also with B

In general
I think because in start is acceptable.
Infact I think its a good start.

but here it is not fitting well.

"Because some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly and others look quite dissimilar"
we need continuation in this context only
"this fact" takes us out of context.

IMO something like
"Because some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly and others look quite dissimilar", we can have......

Something like this is correct usage.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:46 pm
I received a PM asking me to reply to this.

I agree: B.

A. "The fact of" is not idiomatic (an annoying explanation, because idioms are something we're just supposed to "know" - but that's what it is). "That" should follow "namely." Namely is used to spell out or give an example of what was discussed before the comma. If what we're spelling out or using as the example is just a noun, then you just use that noun.

She likes music, namely rock and country.

If, on the other hand, what we're spelling out or using as the example is an entire clause (a bunch of words including a verb), then we've got to use the word "that" to indicate that we're about to introduce a more complex thought.

In this case, we want to introduce "they vary considerably on a spectrum..." which is definitely a clause... so use "that."

You can use that last to eliminate E as well. But not C and D! Notice that those two switch things up: they're no longer clauses - no verb - but just a noun (variation) modified by an adjective (considerable) and a prepositional phrase (on a...).

Now, C and D are problematic in my mind because they start discussing an abstract "variation" instead of telling me who they're talking about... but I'd like to have something a little more solid to eliminate these.

After the first comma, C has the word "it." What's this talking about? This fact highlights an interesting... etc? What fact? Logically, I know they're talking about the stuff before the comma. But look at the way it's structured: With (something something something), it highlights (etc). The "with" part should be referring to some noun after the comma that "has" or possesses that stuff after the with.

With my hands in the air, I slid down the slide. I slide - I have my hands in the air. It has some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly... it what?

D has the same problem. It seems to try to address the situation by saying "it is a fact" - but the "it" isn't referring to "a fact" because then you'd be saying "a fact is a fact." And that's no good either.

B sounds weird - I agree. It's an old-fasioned construction - but it's also grammatically correct.

That (this fact is true) highlights a feature of this group, namely that they vary...
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Vignesh.4384 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:43 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:I received a PM asking me to reply to this.

I agree: B.

A. "The fact of" is not idiomatic (an annoying explanation, because idioms are something we're just supposed to "know" - but that's what it is). "That" should follow "namely." Namely is used to spell out or give an example of what was discussed before the comma. If what we're spelling out or using as the example is just a noun, then you just use that noun.

She likes music, namely rock and country.

If, on the other hand, what we're spelling out or using as the example is an entire clause (a bunch of words including a verb), then we've got to use the word "that" to indicate that we're about to introduce a more complex thought.

In this case, we want to introduce "they vary considerably on a spectrum..." which is definitely a clause... so use "that."

You can use that last to eliminate E as well. But not C and D! Notice that those two switch things up: they're no longer clauses - no verb - but just a noun (variation) modified by an adjective (considerable) and a prepositional phrase (on a...).

Now, C and D are problematic in my mind because they start discussing an abstract "variation" instead of telling me who they're talking about... but I'd like to have something a little more solid to eliminate these.

After the first comma, C has the word "it." What's this talking about? This fact highlights an interesting... etc? What fact? Logically, I know they're talking about the stuff before the comma. But look at the way it's structured: With (something something something), it highlights (etc). The "with" part should be referring to some noun after the comma that "has" or possesses that stuff after the with.

With my hands in the air, I slid down the slide. I slide - I have my hands in the air. It has some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly... it what?

D has the same problem. It seems to try to address the situation by saying "it is a fact" - but the "it" isn't referring to "a fact" because then you'd be saying "a fact is a fact." And that's no good either.

B sounds weird - I agree. It's an old-fasioned construction - but it's also grammatically correct.

That (this fact is true) highlights a feature of this group, namely that they vary...
I think there is 1 question in og11 which is of the same format as this question.

The sentence starts with

That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly ------ Subordinate clause 1

that they vary considerably
----> subordinate clause 2

my doubt is about the main clause . A sentence should contain a main clause (rule).

I have a problem identifying the main clause.
Is the main clause: "others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs" ????

What does "they" of subordinate clause 2 point 2 ?

Pls share your comments

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:07 am
The opening that implies "The fact that" - it might be easier for you to see the independent clause if you add that in.

{The fact that some...} <highlights> (a feature)
{subject} <verb> (object)

"they" in "they vary considerably" refers to "fraternal-twin pairs."
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by pbanavara » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:17 pm
Whoever posted this .. how much more effort is involved in typing 'tough' instead of 'tuf' .. doesn't seem like a big deal, but in a GMAT prep forum - it seems juvenile to use such 'short forms'. It helps on the GMAT if correct grammar is incorporated into day to day life. Please don't feel offended.

-pradeep