tricky question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

tricky question

by grandh01 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:13 pm
A hiker walking at a constant rate of 4 miles per hour is passed by a cyclist traveling in the same direction along the same path at a constant rate of 20 miles per hour. The cyclist stops for 5 minutes after passing her, while the hiker continues to walk at her constant rate. How many minutes must the cyclist wait until the hiker catches up?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:50 am
grandh01 wrote:A hiker walking at a constant rate of 4 miles per hour is passed by a cyclist traveling in the same direction along the same path at a constant rate of 20 miles per hour. The cyclist stops to wait for the hiker 5 minutes after passing her, while the hiker continue to walk at her constant rate. How many minutes must the cyclist wait until the hiker catches up?
Rate and time are RECIPROCALS.
The RATE RATIO = hiker : cyclist = 4:20 = 1:5.
Thus, the TIME RATIO = hiker : cyclist = 5:1.
The implication is that the hiker will take 5 TIMES AS LONG as the cyclist to travel the same distance.
Thus, the hiker will need 25 minutes to travel the distance traveled by the cyclist in 5 minutes.
Thus, the cyclist will have to wait 20 minutes for the hiker to catch up.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ziko » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:16 pm
grandh01 wrote:A hiker walking at a constant rate of 4 miles per hour is passed by a cyclist traveling in the same direction along the same path at a constant rate of 20 miles per hour. The cyclist stops for 5 minutes after passing her, while the hiker continues to walk at her constant rate. How many minutes must the cyclist wait until the hiker catches up?
I think the questions needs some modification, because the phrase cyclist stops for 5 min could be understood as cyclist waited for 5 min, at the same time question asks for how long cyclist waited, that means the question should state something like: 5 minutes after passing the cyclist waited the hiker...