Trans World

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Trans World

by amysky_0205 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:14 pm
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains, announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed
B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales
C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-fourth of its stores
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of its stores will be closed

OA: C

can someone explain this one?
thank u!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by challenger63 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:50 pm
This one is a difficult question. Perhaps, it is a good idea to hear Experts.
My explanation is below. Initially I answered A, then realized that the answer must be C.
amysky_0205 wrote:Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains, announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.
amysky_0205 wrote: A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed
>>
First of all, "announced" can be used without "that" so it's a fake split.

Secondly, "announced" requires the following statement to be in the past, so we have to use "future-in-the past" - would (not will).

Thirdly, for me it is not clear to which noun "they" refers to.
In fact, there are three options:
1) All stores
2) one-fourth => 25% of many, so it's plural one.
3) sales
amysky_0205 wrote: B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales
>>
1) Again. Present after Past is wrong
2) "which accounted for its poor sales" means that sales of stores accounted for poor sales of the whole corporation.
amysky_0205 wrote: C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales
>> This is a right answer. It becomes clear that the corporation closes only 25% of its stores, which have poor sales.
amysky_0205 wrote: D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-fourth of its stores
>> "Trans World Entertainment Corporation, .... , announced to be closing" means that the corporation has to be closed.
amysky_0205 wrote: E. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of its stores will be closed
>>

1) "announced having poor sales" means that during announcement, the corporation is having poor sales.
2) Again Future-in-the-past is required.
3) I doubt about construction "such that" but I can't explain.
I think that adjective+noun should be between "such" and "that"

SUCH
Such + adjective + noun + that
"¢It was such a good new that I couldn't wait to share it with my parents.
"¢Such changing conditions as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary
"¢Such extraordinary fees

Such + noun + as to (noun=way, manner etc)
"¢Xue Mei spoke in such a way as to calm us down.
"¢The sales materials are presented in such a way as to encourage attendees to
purchase the products on the spot.
NOTE - such + noun + as to is much less common than so + adj/adv + as to
If you find my post useful, please don't hesitate to click thanks button.

I am not an expert, so I can make mistakes. If you see a mistake, please notify me.