Toughie

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

Toughie

by gmatmachoman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:41 am
Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours. If nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour, who could have won the race?

I. Stephanie II. Regine III. Brian

(A) I only (B) II only (C) III only (D) I or II only (E) I, II, or III

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by itsratul » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:20 pm
The answer is D

The fastest that any one could have ran and completed the race ,he would have taken 20 (miles) / 8 (miles per hr) = 2.5 hrs

Lets have Stephaine and Regine run with maximum speed then from the equation (coz thats when Brian's time will also be shortest):

StephaineTime+RegineTime = BrianTime+2
BrianTime =3 hrs

So Brian is the slowest.

Between Stephaine and regine we cannot find who was fastest as there is no more information.

therefore either Stephaine or Regine could have won the race.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by itsratul » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:26 pm
Can someone verify if my approach was right?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by singhpreet1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:18 pm
gmatmachoman wrote:Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours. If nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour, who could have won the race?

i feel its C. Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours therefore, Brian ran 20 miles at highest speed of 8 miles per hour and finished in 20/8= 2.5 hours as has already been mentioned by itsratul. now Stephanie and Regine took 2 more hours combined to finish the race, therefore, it is certain that they have to be slower than Brian to take more time to finish the race???

assuming that Stephanie and Regine both ran at 6 m/h they finished in 3.5 hours each which is 2 hours combined exceeded beyond Brian's time.

Alternatively, Stephanie ran at 5 m/h and Regine ran at 6m/h that would roughly suffice the condition as well.

hope that makes sense.

Preet

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:38 pm
itsratul wrote:The answer is D

The fastest that any one could have ran and completed the race ,he would have taken 20 (miles) / 8 (miles per hr) = 2.5 hrs

Lets have Stephaine and Regine run with maximum speed then from the equation (coz thats when Brian's time will also be shortest):

BrianTime =3 hrs

So Brian is the slowest.

Between Stephaine and regine we cannot find who was fastest as there is no more information.

Your approach is very much correct!!

In simpl,e we can say :

1.Determine the probable Minimum time any user can take.

Minimum Time : Distance/(Max speed)
20/8
:2.5 hrs

From the stem it is known that:

So on Minimum terms , it will be

2.5+2.5= BrianTime+2
BrianTime = 3 hrs

So Maximum speed of Brian will be : 20/3
:6.67

On ordering speed of three players,

Stephaine>=Regine>Brian

So its clear that Brian could have NOT won the race in anyway!!

Pick D(May be S or R)

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:40 pm
singhpreet1 wrote:
gmatmachoman wrote:Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours. If nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour, who could have won the race?

i feel its C. Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours therefore, Brian ran 20 miles at highest speed of 8 miles per hour and finished in 20/8= 2.5 hours as has already been mentioned by itsratul. now Stephanie and Regine took 2 more hours combined to finish the race, therefore, it is certain that they have to be slower than Brian to take more time to finish the race???

assuming that Stephanie and Regine both ran at 6 m/h they finished in 3.5 hours each which is 2 hours combined exceeded beyond Brian's time.

Alternatively, Stephanie ran at 5 m/h and Regine ran at 6m/h that would roughly suffice the condition as well.

hope that makes sense.

Preet

@preet, in these kind of scenario , work on Max/Min typical scenarios

by singhpreet1 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:26 am
gmatmachoman wrote:

BrianTime =3 hrs

So Brian is the slowest.

In simpl,e we can say :

20/8

2.5+2.5= BrianTime+2
BrianTime = 3 hrs

Stephaine>=Regine>Brian

Pick D(May be S or R)
ok hand raised, question here!!!
Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours.

When Stephanie and Regine's combined time exceeded Brian's time. lets take another example. if i finished my soup in 1 hour and A&B finished their soups combined time exceeded my time by 2 hours. that means they took 3 hours in total, or if they ate at equal speed they finished in 1 1/2 hours each..they did not finish before me did they???

i hope i made sense.

Preet

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:38 am
singhpreet1 wrote:
gmatmachoman wrote:

BrianTime =3 hrs

So Brian is the slowest.

In simpl,e we can say :

20/8

2.5+2.5= BrianTime+2
BrianTime = 3 hrs

Stephaine>=Regine>Brian

Pick D(May be S or R)
ok hand raised, question here!!!

When Stephanie and Regine's combined time exceeded Brian's time. lets take another example. if i finished my soup in 1 hour and A&B finished their soups combined time exceeded my time by 2 hours. that means they took 3 hours in total, or if they ate at equal speed they finished in 1 1/2 hours each..they did not finish before me did they???

i hope i made sense.

Preet
Hmmm....that makes sense..

Ok....In your example u assumed that "Your" speed is ahead of A&B. And so completed 30 mins ahead of them..Fine!!

Your contention is More speed: less time

But in our question, Brian's speed is the least. So S&R will be ahead of Brian.

Here ; Less speed: More Time...
As simple as Speed is inversely proportional to time taken!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by sars72 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:01 am
singhpreet1 wrote: ok hand raised, question here!!!

i hope i made sense.

Preet
you are removing the conditions imposed by the original question... the question stem puts a limit on the minimum time taken by any the individuals.
we have a max speed of 8 mph --> min time of 20/8 = 2.5

if we removed this condition, then we could have a scenario where Stephanie and Regine's combined time was 3 hours.... don't want to continue blabbering... hope you get the gist

by singhpreet1 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:35 am
sars72 wrote:

i hope i made sense.

Preet
you are removing the conditions imposed by the original question... the question stem puts a limit on the minimum time taken by any the individuals.

if we removed this condition, then we could have a scenario where Stephanie and Regine's combined time was 3 hours.... don't want to continue blabbering... hope you get the gist
calm down Sars..sorry im dumb..i wish i was smarter...but i can only try. i still dont seem to get it! Brian cant finish before 2.5 hours is that right?
and Stephanie and Regine's combined time exceeded 2 hours from Brian's time...so basically they ran in 4.5 hours in total and Brian's time was the slowest and Stephanie or Regine ran in 2.5 hours...thank God!

sorry everyone for eating your heads on this one!!!

Preet

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by sars72 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:57 am
singhpreet1 wrote:[
calm down Sars..sorry im dumb..i wish i was smarter...but i can only try. i still dont seem to get it! Brian cant finish before 2.5 hours is that right?
and Stephanie and Regine's combined time exceeded 2 hours from Brian's time...so basically they ran in 4.5 hours in total and Brian's time was the slowest and Stephanie or Regine ran in 2.5 hours...thank God!

Preet
dude, chill out. No one's calling anyone dumb. Wanting to get the explanation straight is a smart thing to do. Everyone gets stuck on problems once in a while, so don't get stressed out. I apologize if my tone sounded harsh, for that was not my intention... I decided to stop coz I felt i wasn't able to convey much :)

your logic is still a tad off.. let me try explaining using the algebraic route..

minimum time is 2.5 hours
let S, R and B represent the time taken by Stephanie, Regine and Brian, respectively

we know that S + R = 2 + B
so, lets put it in terms of B --> B = S+R-2

for B to be the least possible value, S+R has to be as low as possible

minimum time is 2.5, so taking S=2.5 and R = 2.5
--> R = 2.5+2.5-2 --> R = 5-2 = 3
Therefore, R is greater than S and R even in best case scenario for R

Therefore, Bryan definitely cannot be faster than Stephanie and Regine... so either Stephanie or Regine could have won the race, but Bryan definitely could not have.

hope this helps :)

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:05 am
singhpreet1 wrote:
sars72 wrote:

i hope i made sense.

Preet

Preet
Hey Preet bhai!!

Sorry to Jump in amidst ur conversation!!

I was just talking to sarathy...he is very much a nice guy !!He is also in deep tension as his G day is impending!! Wish him great good luck!!

Actually , tone is always a big issue....

So only I have decided from day 1 to use "bhai" , so it becomes very very clear I am not "arrogant" as it may sound though!!

wat say???

by singhpreet1 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:21 am
thank u both.

now this forum seems like family! ;)

your explanation and clarifications means a lot...i think this is an issue with non-verbal communication. no grudges. thanks u both again!

highly appreciate you to take the time out to explain and clarify time on time.

Preet

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:46 am

Whenever a problem gives you an upper or lower limit, plug in the limit in order to see how the problem is restricted.

In this problem, our upper limit is 8mph. No one is allowed to have a faster rate.

Let's start with Brian. Let's say that he wins by running at the fastest allowed speed of 8 mph.

Time = Distance/Rate

Brian's time would be 20/8 = 2.5 hours.

Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours: This means Stephanie and Regine's combined time would be 2.5 + 2 = 4.5 hours.

In this case, the upper limit for Stephanie and Regine also is 8mph. Neither can run faster because we want Brian to win. Let's see what happens when Stephanie and Regine each run at 8mph.

Stephanie's time would be 20/8 = 2.5 hours.
Regine's time would be 20/8 = 2.5 hours.
Their combined time would be 2.5 + 2.5 = 5 hours.

Too much, because we need their combined time to be 4.5 hours.

But the only way for their combined time to be 4.5 hours is if they run faster. But they can't run faster because we want Brian to win.

So Brian can't win by going at the maximum rate of 8mph.

If Brian goes slower, the situation gets worse:

Let's say Brian runs at 5 mph.

Brian's time would be 20/5 = 4 hours.

This means Stephanie and Regine's combined time would be 4 + 2 = 6 hours.

In this case, the upper limit for Stephanie and Regine is 5mph. Neither can run faster because we want Brian to win. Let's see what happens when Stephanie and Regine each run at 5mph.

Stephanie's time would be 20/5 = 4 hours.
Regine's time would be 20/5 = 4 hours.
Their combined time would be 4 + 4 = 8 hours.

Too much, because we need their combined time to be 6 hours.

But the only way for their combined time to be 6 hours is if they run faster. But they can't run faster because we want Brian to win.

So we're stuck. Brian can't win, poor guy.

Eliminate any answer choice that includes Brian: C and E. We're left with A, B, and D.

"None" is not included in the answer choices, so we know that someone has to be able to win. The problem makes no distinction between Stephanie and Regine; we know information only about their combined time. If Stephanie can win, why couldn't Regine? If Regine can win, why couldn't Stephanie? So either must be able to win.

The correct answer is D.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by singhpreet1 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:05 am
thank u so Mitch..that explanation was mind blowing! i would thank u in person for that 1!!

Preet