tough SC

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

tough SC

by punitkaur » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:32 am
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others
by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

A)by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling

B)by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call

C)suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call

D)suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling

E)suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

Brainstorm pls :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by heshamelaziry » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:14 pm
IMO E. A and B are out automatically. C and D use "the reduction" unnecessarily. "Attempting" should be parrallel to "Reducing"

by punitkaur » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:21 pm
Hi Hesham,

OA is E.

I thought that parallel components were propose, suggest and call.
Hence I chose C

So I wonder how suggest and still others are calling be correct. It doesn't show parallelism?

Moreover, why is "the reduction" wrong? And how is "reducing" better than "the reduction"? I understand you were trying to parallel "attempting" to "reducing" but I don't see a need for them to be parallel when the parallel phrases seem to be propose, suggest, call.

Could you please explain in terms of grammar?

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by heshamelaziry » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:33 pm
punitkaur wrote:While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others
by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

A)by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling

B)by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call

C)suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call

D)suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling

E)suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

Brainstorm pls :)

I am not a grammar expert. I only noticed that the emphasize of the sentence was on ways to combat "piracy". With C, ways to combat piracy are not parallel, although the verbs you mentioned are. However, E is good for the verbs you mentioned and for the verbs used to suggest ways to combat piracy.

I am sorry I can't be more helpful.

by m&m » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:33 pm
While some propose ... by attempting
others suggest reducing

propose // to suggest
attempting // to reducing

That led me to E

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:09 pm
This is Q 160 in OG10.

"for decreasing" in C is wrong. gmat prefer "to do"

However, E is also problematic for " suggest reducing software". on gmat "doing" never is used before a noun because "doing" can be a verb having the noun as object or a participle having the noun as the modified. "suggest reducing THE software" can be ok because "reducing" here is clearly a verb.

you can read "sentence correction 101", a lecture by a education company for this. download from net.