Tough SC

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

Tough SC

by Svedankae » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:04 pm
A group of students who have begun to clean up Frederick Law Olmsted's Morningside Park in New York City believes that the park needs not to be redesigned but to be returned to its former condition

A) ...

B) believe that the park needs to not be redesigned but to

C) believes that the park needs not to be redesigned but could

D) believe that the park needs to be not redesigned but to

E) believe that the park needs not to be redesigned but that it

I am VERY interested in reading about your opinions on this one. Please share what you think.

Followed by:3 members

by kaulnikhil » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:34 pm
A subject verb agreement ..group singular with a singular verb..also not and but perfectly parallel.

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

Re: Tough SC

by gmat740 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:51 pm
Svedankae wrote:A group of students who have begun to clean up Frederick Law Olmsted's Morningside Park in New York City believes that the park needs not to be redesigned but to be returned to its former condition

I am VERY interested in reading about your opinions on this one. Please share what you think.
The Bold part is the Subject verb Agreement and the red part deals with parallelism.

OA-A

hOPE this Helps

Legendary Member

by ketkoag » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:28 pm
agree with karan..

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vishal1702 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:57 am
gmat740 wrote:
Svedankae wrote:A group of students who have begun to clean up Frederick Law Olmsted's Morningside Park in New York City believes that the park needs not to be redesigned but to be returned to its former condition

The Bold part is the Subject verb Agreement and the red part deals with parallelism.

OA-A

hOPE this Helps
I am a little confused....
according to MGMAT, subject can not be part of a prepositional phrase except in case of idiomatic expressions that designate quantities or parts....

a group of students can not be the subject in that sense...and further, if we consider students the subject than believes is wrong(making option A wrong)

If we consider group the subject of the sentence than believes is fine.

In this sentence who have begun... modifies students but why not group(in that case who has...)??
Please someone clarify....

by Svedankae » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:55 am
vishal1702 wrote:
gmat740 wrote:

OA-A

hOPE this Helps
according to MGMAT, subject can not be part of a prepositional phrase except in case of idiomatic expressions that designate quantities or parts....

a group of students can not be the subject in that sense...and further, if we consider students the subject than believes is wrong(making option A wrong)

In this sentence who have begun... modifies students but why not group(in that case who has...)??

that is exactly what i was thinking. thanks vishal for phrasing it perfectly like that. :)

can anyone explain?

by madhur_ahuja » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:49 am
Svedankae wrote:
vishal1702 wrote:
gmat740 wrote:

OA-A

hOPE this Helps

that is exactly what i was thinking. thanks vishal for phrasing it perfectly like that. :)

can anyone explain?
Its a standard pattern:

One of the Group: The pattern to remember is ‘one of the NOUN (this noun will always be plural) + that/who + PLURAL VERB

by arorag » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:49 am
lets put it this way.....
students (p) cleaned the park but as group (S) believed
I know it is confusing... I took this reasoning as well as //ism of A.

by Svedankae » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:08 pm
madhur_ahuja wrote:
Svedankae wrote:
vishal1702 wrote:
gmat740 wrote:

OA-A

hOPE this Helps

can anyone explain?
Its a standard pattern:

One of the Group: The pattern to remember is ‘one of the NOUN (this noun will always be plural) + that/who + PLURAL VERB

are u serious? thats the opposite of what it says in the flashcards. there it says:

"He is one of the people who bakes great cakes."

now im really confused. :?:

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by mehravikas » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:42 pm
That's incorrect in the flash cards.

in fact Ron has clarified it in one of the post on this forum.

One of the Xs that / who <plural>
Svedankae wrote:
madhur_ahuja wrote:
Svedankae wrote:
vishal1702 wrote:
gmat740 wrote:

OA-A

hOPE this Helps

can anyone explain?
Its a standard pattern:

are u serious? thats the opposite of what it says in the flashcards. there it says:

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members

by gmat740 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:02 pm
mehravikas wrote:That's incorrect in the flash cards.

in fact Ron has clarified it in one of the post on this forum.

One of the Xs that / who <plural>
Svedankae wrote:
madhur_ahuja wrote:
Svedankae wrote:
vishal1702 wrote:
gmat740 wrote:

OA-A

hOPE this Helps

can anyone explain?
Its a standard pattern:

I second Mehravikas.....the concept given in Flash Card is wrong.
The concept above is correct
one of the Noun(Plural) +that/who + PLURAL VERB
Reason:

here That/who modifies the plural noun instead of "one"

Hope this Helps

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:38 am
Received a PM asking me to respond. There was an error on the flashcards a while back - I remember Eric asking me about it.

Okay, so multiple things going on.

The structure that you're describing in the flashcards is not a straight sub-verb main clause set-up. Here's the difference:

The cat is red. cat = sub, is = verb, main clause set-up

The cat which is red likes to eat fish. cat = sub, then TWO verbs: "is" and "likes". The main clause is: the cat likes to eat fish. The "which is red" bit is a modifier. It's a noun modifier, so it modifies the preceding noun: cat. that's why "is" is singular.

Now, on the initial problem listed, we open with "The group of students." subj = "the group" and prepositional phrase = "of students." The whole thing is not a prep phrase - just "of students."

A group <of students who have begun to clean of the park in NYC> believes that (etc.)

Noun modifier again - so match "have begun" with "students." The verb "believes," on the other hand, is not inside of a modifier. This is the main verb for the sentence. So what's the main noun? "group." Match those two.

That allows us to eliminate everything but A and C. Then we've got the idiom "not X but Y" - and we also need parallelism. C breaks this parallelism:

the park needs NOT <to be redesigned> BUT <could be returned>

A is parallel:
the park needs NOT <to be redesigned> BUT <to be returned>
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me